PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Adding Second server and swichover 'after the fact' and primary server loss

Posted 05-14-2021 16:26
    I am in the process of making our Development environment match our production, in preparation for some upgrades and I have managed to create an issue where my CIC will not start on my Primary server pair.

We have been working with a CIC and Media server pair in development, with no switch over so I have created a second CIC to allow switch over. i am yet to install the Second media server for the pair.  after the initial install everything looked to be working at first glance and my primary server was still taking calls.  I tried to initiate switchover on the new server and it could not find the other server in pair. 

I did not have the switchover software available on my primary server, and ran Setup Assistant to point to the new (second) server. Setup assistant went into restart and my CIC has not restarted. I have found there is a cert error in the Notifier start up and running gensslcertse.exe -r  has not effect.

I believe i went wrong in that i needed to run Setup assistant on the primary server first, then install the second server.  I copied the certs from the primary server (which has been working fine for years)  and imported them in the install process.

Not expecting much feedback just if someone has encountered this and knows th best path forward. At this point I am restoring the primary from back up and plan to attack this again.

#AskMeAnything(AMA)
    #Implementation
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Christopher Becker
    State of Michigan - Oakland County - WRC

• 2.  RE: Adding Second server and swichover 'after the fact' and primary server loss

Posted 05-16-2021 18:22
    Hi Christopher,

Can you confirm you have generated and applied a new license containing both server's Host ID and servername?

I have found that you need to generate a new set of certs for the primary server using setup assistant and then use setup assistant on the secondary server to use those new certs for the secondary server. The wording in Setup assistant options is a bit confusing, so make sure you read the options carefully and select the correct configuration for the second server to be in a switchover pair.

I hope that helps.

• 3.  RE: Adding Second server and swichover 'after the fact' and primary server loss

Posted 05-18-2021 07:52
    Hello Richard,

I did generate a license for the pair, but i never generated additional certs. I used the certs created by my initial install of the single server.  I guess this makes sense because i am getting an error from the notifier. Unfortunately, when the notifier is down, you cannot run setup assistant. 

So i am in the process of restoring my server from backup (always dicey.)  once i get it up and working, I will run setup assistant to generate new certs, then i will run the Switchover option. I will copy and import the new certs to the second server, and reconfigure switchover.

Thanks for the feedback.

Christopher Becker

• 4.  RE: Adding Second server and swichover 'after the fact' and primary server loss

Posted 05-19-2021 08:27
    If you find that you can't run setup assistant to generate certificates you can use gensslcertsu command line utility.
    First, rename you existing certs directory to certs.old
    Then open DOS window, navigate to D:\i3\ic\server, run gensslcertu /s
    This should create the certs that allow you to run Setup Assistant.
    Then run Setup Assistant Switchover task - this will re-generate the certs that can be copied to your B server.

If you have access to Genesis KB articles, this provides more detail:
    https://genesyspartner.force.com/customercare/kA91T000000Xgk3SAC?name=How-to-Correct-a-Certificate-Issue-in-a-Switchover-Pair

It's an old 3.0 article that has been updated for 4.0 (20xxRy).

Donald Reitz
    Avtex Solutions, LLC

• 5.  RE: Adding Second server and swichover 'after the fact' and primary server loss

Posted 05-19-2021 18:12
    I have tried this 2x and every time my notifier does not come up after.  I am getting this error:

Notifier refused connection request from server 172.XX.XX.XX:55484 because SSL negotiations failed
    If additional information is available, it can be found at
    https://my.inin.com/Support/Pages/Event-Search.aspx?EventID=10022
    of course the url does not work for the additional info

This is my media server, so I think I need to stop the connections on my media server before I try this, then copy the new certs to the media server and reestablish trust.  any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Christopher Becker

• 6.  RE: Adding Second server and swichover 'after the fact' and primary server loss

Posted 05-19-2021 18:38
    Edited by Richard Presling 05-19-2021 18:39
    Hi Christopher,

That error shouldn't be the cause of Interaction Centre Service not starting, but will need to be addressed once you get IC started. Remove the connection and establish a new one.

It's a long shot but I wonder if you are hitting a problem I have had recently. Is the Interaction Centre service startup timing out and then shutting down? It is "normal" to get a warning that it failed to start in the allotted time, but that is usually for a non-critical system and clicking OK allows the start-up to continue. 

I have had 3 occurrences recently where one of the subsystems is taking longer to startup than allowed. If that happens the registry has a flag that identifies that subsystem as critical or not, and if critical it will abort the start. I have had to extend the time allowed so that subsystem doesn't time out.

You will be able to see in the Remocoserver log what subsystems are starting, and if there is a fatal error that shuts down IC. You should also see that subsystem error in the event log. If you have a cert issue you might also be able to identify it from the Remocoserver log.

I hope that is useful.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources