Latitude by Genesys - User Group

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Exchange like .txt extension but not .csv

Posted 12-21-2021 17:53
    While doing some updates to existing clients that added their new fields in the middle or beginning of the placement files I decided to shortcut it by exporting the source layout to excel and then adding in the new fields that way.

However after importing it back in with no issues or errors and having all of the previous fields still mapped I will get an Error 0 when trying to import in the placement file that is a .csv
    After checking syntax and case and wiping the source layout to get a fresh mapping with the new schema, still no luck.

I then created a copy of the .csv and changed it to a .txt so that I could import it into excel and check that there were no invalid characters or extra | delimiters in text fields.  That checked out as good.

Then when testing an import I clicked on the .txt version of the file and it loaded with no issues.  the .csv still gets the Error 0 but the .txt has no issues at all, there were no changes to the file internally, just the files extension was changed from .csv to .txt

Any ideas on that one?  I think I had this happen to me before and I had to rebuild the entire interface to get it to accept.
    #Exchange
    #OtherToolsandUtillities

------------------------------
    Brian Meehan
    Programming Consultant
    SIMM Associates, Inc.
    brianm@simmassociates.comPA

• 2.  RE: Exchange like .txt extension but not .csv

Posted 12-21-2021 18:11
     Brian
    If you export the source layout and then import it again it loses the mapping. It won't look like it did but try clicking one of the fields on the right and see if anything is actually pointed to it.  This has occurred for quite sometime and isn't new unless I am misunderstanding the issue. 

• 3.  RE: Exchange like .txt extension but not .csv

Posted 12-22-2021 10:19
    Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply, my issues isn't with the mapping so to say, It doesn't get that far to where I can click on the right side, left side doesn't show up either, it is just a show stopping error after I select the file that I want to preview.  When the preview comes up it acts like there are too many fields in the source file than in the source layout.  Now that happens when i use the file a.csv, but if I then try to import again and instead use the same exact file but rename it to a.txt then it works fine and the preview comes up with no issues.  It's really weird.  I may have to put a ticket in to show the devs what is going on.

Brian Meehan
    Programming Consultant
    SIMM Associates, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Exchange like .txt extension but not .csv

Posted 12-22-2021 11:43
    After some further testing I found that this file was able to be imported as a .csv if it was moved to my local harddrive but when it resides on a network mapped drive it will get that Error 0.

Brian Meehan
    Programming Consultant
    SIMM Associates, Inc.

• 5.  RE: Exchange like .txt extension but not .csv

Posted 12-22-2021 11:52
    I am curious if someone might have that file open on the network drive?

John Everman
    (913) 302-9615

• 6.  RE: Exchange like .txt extension but not .csv

Posted 12-22-2021 12:03
    I believe you nailed that one.  I took a copy and put it elsewhere on a server and changed it worked.  I then took the copy that was in the same folder as the original .csv and changed it back from .txt to .csv and that worked.  So that would be highly probably that it is open somewhere else.  But where is the dilemma.
    Thanks John, for helping me work this out.

Happy Holidays,

Brian Meehan
    Programming Consultant
    SIMM Associates, Inc.

• 7.  RE: Exchange like .txt extension but not .csv

Posted 12-22-2021 12:20

You bet Brian.  Glad it worked for you.

John Everman

Guru DNA Technology Consultants