PureConnect

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Switchover Alerts

• 1.  Switchover Alerts

GCAP Member
    Posted 2 days ago
    Hello,

We currently have an alert set up in ICBM when a switchover has occurred but do not have a configuration for a text alert. My company uses a 3rd party monitoring system for alerts that can be texted to a distribution group which would be ideal and garner a faster response to reboot the potential backup server so we can continue to run in switchover mode immediately instead of hours later if this happens in the middle night. After that windy story, my question to the community would be to ask if anyone can tell me specifically what service or services would need to be monitored to trigger an alert?  I have read the SNMP documentation in regards to this but is pretty vague or I am thick headed and not "getting it".
    Any advice or suggestions is sincerely appreciated!

Thanks!
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Tina Yocum
    NorthWestern Corporation

• 2.  RE: Switchover Alerts

GCAP Member
    Posted 2 days ago
    Tina

There is a handler initiator 'Switchover Event' which can be used to kick off a handler and you could send an SMS from the handler, depending upon your configuration.

Tarquin Bell
    Precision Administration Services (Pty) Ltd

• 3.  RE: Switchover Alerts

GCAP Member
    Posted 2 days ago
    you can get email out - so you should be able to email (txt) out too.

Examples are 4155551234@vtext.com (for Verizon) and 3105551234@@tmomail.net (for tmobile)

I have it set under System Statistics > IC System Status > Indicates if a switchover was performed

Richard

• 4.  RE: Switchover Alerts

Posted 23 hours ago
    Tina,

• ININ SNMP service can send specific traps regarding Switchover events to a monitoring platform. Knowledge of SNMP would be required to set it up but there is an ININ SNMP Tech Ref on the PConnect doc site.
    • You can use a PowerShell script with Windows Task Scheduler to monitor for specific Application Event Log messages, to send e-mails as a text message.
    • The challenge with using a handler is the handler runs will stop once the switchover occurs. They will run on the newly active server but depending on the situation, it may not fire as expected.

ININ SNMP is the most reliable method but option 2 also works quite well.

Hope that helps.

Chris Mayo
    Manager, Technical Services
    ConvergeOne