Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Interaction Priority

• 1.  Interaction Priority

Posted 05-26-2022 12:28
    Hey Genesys Cloud Gurus / Junkies!

I'm sorry to be posting this and possibly dragging up an old chestnut, but I need a definitive answer and getting differing opinions! I think I know the correct answer, but need some additional evidence...

So, I understand that setting a priority on an interaction effectively "offsets" the time in queue so a higher priority call appears to the selection algorithm to have been waiting longer than it actually has.

I can see from the interface that the range is +/- 25,000,000.

My question is, what are the units?

My reading / research is telling me these are minutes (so giving an interaction a priority of 10 would mean it would immediately out-rank any interaction that has been waiting for less than 10 minutes) and thus giving an interaction a priority of 25,000,000 would mean it would be answered before any interaction that had been waiting for less than approximately 65.5 years!

I am hearing from other folks that it's seconds (making 25,000,000 about 9.5 months) or even milliseconds (just under 7 hours)

Can anyone definitively settle this?

We are wanting to prioritize some interactions over others, but not leave lower priority interactions to never get answered (jut have to wait longer) so we need to kow the units!

Thank you in advance ;-)
    #Routing(ACD/IVR)

• 2.  RE: Interaction Priority
    Best Answer

Posted 05-26-2022 16:38
    Paul, 
    In my daily use of artificially bumping priority, it's in minutes.  

d

------------------------------
    Dan DeSive
    Acendas Travel

• 3.  RE: Interaction Priority

Top 25 Contributor
    Posted 05-26-2022 17:06
    Documentation is pretty clear that it is minutes.

Anton Vroon

• 4.  RE: Interaction Priority

Posted 09-26-2022 07:54
    I've never tried it but does giving a call a negative priority value actually work? I assume it does but...

James Dunn
    Pitney Bowes Inc.

• 5.  RE: Interaction Priority

Posted 09-27-2022 14:11
    I believe so.

The system simply adds the priority to the time in queue, so a high priority interaction appears to have been waiting longer than it actually has. Setting it negative makes it look like the interaction has been waiting for less time than it actually has....

Paul Simpson
    Sr. Cloud Partner
    AAA Club Alliance Inc.

• 6.  RE: Interaction Priority

GENESYS
    Posted 05-26-2022 17:38
    Hey Paul,

What's going on?! George and I talked about your question on the latest episode of the Q&A Show.

Also, George mentions that he'd written two community posts on this here is one post and a slightly more detailed discussion

Cheers!

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 7.  RE: Interaction Priority

Posted 05-26-2022 18:38
    Thank you, everyone!

Yes, I found those resources too, and saw the posts ;-) (Didn't spot the Q&A though!)

I was "discussing" the matter with some other "experts" who swore blind that it was seconds / milliseconds (and, to be fair, why would you want an offset of over half a century max!) so I wanted some additional "resources" to throw at the folks concerned ;-) (Usual stuff, "Documentation MSUT be wrong", "I heard".... etc.)

All good and thanks again.

• 8.  RE: Interaction Priority

GENESYS
    Posted 05-27-2022 08:36
    Hey folks, wanted to chime in here just to tease a feature that I'm working on for release later this year.  I am planning to introduce a new routing method 'absolute priority' routing - this will effectively enable customers to use the priority value ONLY as the determining factor for which interactions are answered across queues.  Effectively we'll not consider the time in-queue at all.  I think this will be generally helpful for giving customers confidence that the interactions they say are most critical are answered first (without having to worry about making sure something that's been languishing in a queue might trump a new interaction that was not given high enough priority to move ahead in line.   This is also a really critical need when we start to route workitems and we're making great progress there so this will be needed soon!

Thanks!
    Chris

Chris Bohlin
    Product Manager - PureCloud

• 9.  RE: Interaction Priority

Posted 06-30-2022 14:23

Hi-was reading through this thread, links, and the transfer to ACD action for setting Priority.

We have a requirement that is as follows:  If a call is presented to a queue and the call is a transfer from another queue and is on hold for  <10 (or x) minutes, it would always take precedence/have priority over a regular inbound call to that queue and the transferred call would route to an agent first. However, after 10 minutes on hold, the desired logic would be for the regular inbound call to take precedence/priority over a transferred call. The purpose of this is to generally limit the wait time of transferred calls, but also not make regular calls in queue wait too long to get answered. What is the best way to accomplish this? #Routing(ACD/IVR)

Thanks-Todd

​

Todd Allred
    IBM Corporation USA

• 10.  RE: Interaction Priority

Top 25 Contributor
    Posted 07-07-2022 00:47
    Hi Todd

If you set the priority for transfer calls to 10, that is basically treating transfer calls as if they have already waited 10 minutes when they join.
    So a normal call that has waited 11 minutes already will have a higher priority than a new transfer call and will get answered first, while a transfer call that has waited 11 minutes will be treated as though it has waited 21 minutes. 

That is what priority is, it is just a virtual wait time adjustment.

This should be enough, otherwise you would have to keep checking transfer calls, for the flow start time, and if that is more than 10 minutes then adjust the priority back down to 0, then they would be treated as equal.

But generally the first option is how it is supposed to work. A set of calls get a boost but not so high that calls that have been waiting really never get answered.

Anton Vroon

• 11.  RE: Interaction Priority

Posted 09-21-2022 06:05
    Hi Chris,

When this teased feature should be available?
    I found New Scoring Method: Absolute Priority | Genesys Cloud Ideas Portal (aha.io), but could not find that in the roadmap.

Kimmo Peltonen
    Advania Finland Oy

• 12.  RE: Interaction Priority

GENESYS
    Posted 09-22-2022 08:29
    I'm hoping to be able to ship this some time in October/November.

Chris Bohlin

• 13.  RE: Interaction Priority

Posted 09-23-2022 07:21
    You said in a post here

"use the priority value ONLY as the determining factor for which interactions are answered across queues.  Effectively we'll not consider the time in-queue at all." 

How will it handle two calls in the queue with the same absolute priority if the time in queue is not evaluated?

Bruce Dunn
    State of Delaware

• 14.  RE: Interaction Priority

GENESYS
    Posted 09-23-2022 16:09
    Hi Bruce, our measurement of time is in milliseconds so the likelihood of this occurring is extremely small

Cameron Smith
    VP, Product Management - Workforce Engagement Management

• 15.  RE: Interaction Priority

GENESYS
    Posted 09-27-2022 15:55
    Bruce - just to add to Cam' s comment - when absolute priority scoring is available, if two interactions had exactly the same score (which is admittedly highly unlikely) the tie would go to the one waiting in queue longer.

Ryan - can you point me to any documentation where the priority definitions are unclear - would really like to get those cleaned up!  Apologies for any confusion.

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris Bohlin

• 16.  RE: Interaction Priority

Posted 09-23-2022 13:20
    This is funny because i read several conflicting resources too and asked our partner, which took nearly 6 months to return with a straight answer and their answer was that it was 1 point per 30 seconds, or 2 points per minute.  LOL.  About a year ago, the documentation on priority was abismal.  No data out there.  This is why it took our vendor so long to find out as nobody had the same answer.

Ryan Cheesman
    Senior Manager, IT Integration Services
    Tandem Diabetes Care Inc. | positively different

• 17.  RE: Interaction Priority

Posted 09-28-2022 09:49
    I think there may be some cross-misunderstanding between product lines.

PureConnect (formerly CIC) used a different methodology to calculate ACD scores and, by default, that was 1 point per 30 seconds. I suspect your partner got the two confused.

Paul Simpson
    Sr. Cloud Partner
    AAA Club Alliance Inc.

• 18.  RE: Interaction Priority

GENESYS
    Posted 02-06-2023 19:45

Another place in the Doc which states it is one minute is found on https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/genesys-cloud-acd-processing/

"Note: When multiple interactions are in queue, Genesys Cloud ACD distributes them based on the interaction that arrives first, down to the millisecond. As interactions arrive into the queue, the system applies a routing score. This score is calculated from the priority assigned to the interaction and its arrival time with a priority point system such that one point of priority equals adding one minute of time that the call is waiting. For example, if two calls arrive at the same time and one has a priority of 5 points while the other's priority is 3 points, the one with 5 points scores as though it arrived 2 minutes before the other interaction, and routes first. Therefore, an interaction may arrive before another interaction but routes after the other, based on the priority calculations applied to each interaction."

George Ganahl GCP (Genesys Cloud)
    Principal PS Consultant
    Genesys

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources