Genesys Casual

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

• 1.  What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

GENESYS
    Posted 11-30-2022 11:27

Every holiday season there is that "must have" gift that everyone goes crazy for. They've even made movies about it; remember "Jingle All the Way" with Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Our bonus question for Big Buy Brainteasers is this:
    What was that hard-to-get item that you or a loved one had to go "all out" to try and secure for the holidays? Perhaps you were in the frantic shopper's shoes or maybe you were the one that requested that elusive item. Tell us about it!   

I'll go first:

My mom got wrapped up in trying to get me the Holiday Barbies that were released every year. (I didn't even like Barbie but she really wanted me to collect them, I still don't know why!) Some were particularly hard to get and I remember she would call every store and when she found out someone had it in stock, she'd repeat, "Hold it for me! Hold it for me!"

Then I'd get the Barbie for Christmas and Mom wouldn't let me open it because it was "going to be a collector's item someday." Haha! Fast forward to today…the only Holiday Barbie that is really worth any money is the very first one from 1988, which I've kept faithfully in its box.

All the other Holiday Barbies I gave to my niece and told her to open them and play with them all she wanted! It was so fun to watch her tear open those boxes. Now your turn to earn those three extra bonus points!

#CoffeeTalk
    #Events
    #General

------------------------------
    Nicole Milliken
    Genesys - Employees

• 2.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 11-30-2022 12:25

huh...where do I start from ........

I have been waiting to get my hands on PlayStation 5 console for almost 1 year now. (was launched around Feb'21 in India)
    I tried getting it on last Diwali sale & then BlackFriday, but couldn't. I even sold my PS4 console in advance to buy PS5.
    But this year, I did not skip even one nearby store to book it in advance and  f i n a l l y  (it sounds exactly the way it is written) I got my console last week.

PS5 console home setup

A childlike happiness, I felt after a long time.

It was a "hard-to-get" holiday item, 'cz of the long wait.

Ashiesh Sharma
    BT plc

• 3.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

GENESYS
    Posted 12-02-2022 10:25
    Congrats! What was the first game that you played? I almost got the console for the new God of War.

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 4.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 11-30-2022 12:25
    My mom wanted me to collect the holiday Barbies as well.  There was more than one year that she had a horrible time trying to find one for me.   My most difficult thing to find was a Tickle Me Elmo for my niece.  It's been a few years, but I can still clearly remember the anxiety of going to every store in the area trying to find one...even resorting to calling stores to ask when their next shipment might be.  She still has it and it still works, so it was worth the time and effort.

Cynthia Dexter
    Thedacare Inc

• 5.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 11-30-2022 12:45
    Having not had a TV in our home since the late 1980's, my kids never had the knowledge to ask for those "hard to get items".  We never really did gift giving at Christmas, but used time together with a vacation, so if there was a hard to get item, that would be a reservation at a great family location.

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

• 6.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

GENESYS
    Posted 12-02-2022 10:26
    I know people who book vacations and reservations sometimes YEARS in advance, so this definitely qualifies.

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 7.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

GENESYS
    Posted 12-02-2022 10:41
    @Cynthia Dexter ​ You understand my pain about the Barbies! Haha! Do you still have your collection? I only kept the first one and gave the rest to my niece to rip into those glorious boxes.

Nicole Milliken
    Genesys - Employees

• 8.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-02-2022 10:46
    @Nicole Milliken   I gave every one of them to my little cousins...as soon as I could.   They still make holiday Barbies and each year I catch my mom eyeing them up.  Every year I cringe when she hands me a rectangular box, but so far she has resisted the urge.​

Cindy Dexter
    Business Analyst

• 9.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 11-30-2022 18:35

Trying to get the Furby for the kids, circa 1998 or 1999.  I waited in line on black Friday, and after no luck I bounced from store to store and mall to mall.  

This is when I realized I'm not a good shopper and I never did score one!

Raymond Hicks
    Sutter Health

• 10.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-01-2022 01:56
    Having not had a TV in our home in 2000's, It was a hard to get item for me at that time and its my long term wish to buy one
    After 5 years of waiting/hardwork my dreams comes true one fine day in Jan 2005.

Kathiravan Srinivasan
    Hewlett-Packard Enterprise India Pvt Ltd

• 11.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-01-2022 03:41
    My wife is a big fan of Robbie Williams, so I had a hard time some years ago to get the limited Sony Ericsson W300i Walkman mobile phone in Robbie Williams design for her.

Sascha Gagalon
    NTT Germany AG & Co. KG

• 12.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-01-2022 08:13
    In the early 80s, when the Cabbage Patch Kid dolls first came out, my sister and I tried to get one for my niece. We decided to "divide and conquer" to hit more stores. We ended up finding a CPK doll, but it was an all day, all-hands-on-deck Black Friday!  This was so long ago now; I don't even remember which Kid we ended up finding and buying!

Janelle Lopez
    The Chamberlain Group, Inc.

• 13.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

GENESYS
    Posted 12-01-2022 08:48
    A jackpot winning lottery ticket!

Tracy
    Genesys

• 14.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-01-2022 08:58
    Growing up, we focused NOT on the gifts but rather family time so my mom was lucky and never had to brave the crowds for Barbie, Cabbage Patch OR things like Elmo. We usually got 2-3 'fun items' along with a family gift (usually a board game) BUT what I looked forward to every year was the new set of pajamas my grandmother made! So I would say it was 'hard to wait' to open that because I knew what was in it!

Cherri Lindquist
    Clinical Director of Nursing
    Company Nurse, LLC
    clindquist@companynurse.com

• 15.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-01-2022 13:01
    Not a gift exactly, but my hard to find item this year is ring shaped pretzels. I use them for a holiday treat, and for reasons I've never understood, the rings are only sold this time of year. However, when I tried to snag a couple pages last week, there were none to be found. The treats don't last long in this house, and my brother in law would eat his weight in them if given the opportunity, so it looks like I'll be running around town in search of pretzels.

Emily Kammerer
    Ascendium Education Solutions, Inc.

• 16.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-01-2022 16:54
    Years ago, when my son was little, I wanted to get him a Power Wheels Jeep.

I went to Wal-Mart, Thanksgiving night, when they were open 24 hours, and camped out in the aisle where they were handing out tickets for the limited number of Power Wheels. I was the first in line and tickets were not handed out until 5am on Black Friday.  Thank goodness it was the book aisle so I caught up on some reading for the 13 hours I spent on the dirty floor for this gift. (My husband camped out in the Sony flat screen TV aisle for his own gift! LOL)

Nicole Dehn
    AAA Club Alliance Inc.

• 17.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-02-2022 06:33
    Edited by Rasko Radojevic 12-02-2022 07:05
    Like most of the Trivia quizzes lately and this one is focused on American culture and habits, which is hard to identify with.
    Considering that in our region we are not so much focused on the gifts for the holiday season (which by the way is at different time) but rather for providing a variety of different and delicious food. So one of this hard-to-get thing may be to provide a high quality domestic grown lamb meat from specific region. 
    Luckily there's always a way to find some alternatives eventually.

Раско Радојевић
    Rasko Radojevic

• 18.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

GENESYS
    Posted 12-02-2022 10:23

Hey Rasko, love the feedback! If you have any specific ideas that you want to share on how we can involve more diverse cultures and habits (in trivia or beyond), drop them here. We'll be using this thread to plan events for 2023 and would love to expand our content and engagement approaches. 

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 19.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

Posted 12-02-2022 17:24
    Well, nothing real special for me specifically, but my grandson was into some gaming thing call SkyLanders in the early 2000's. Apparently, just having the console and several figurines didn't cut it, as he wanted some characters that were a bit more obscure. These things were selling out all over at the time, but like a good Gampy, I wanted to spoil my only grandchild as much as possible to the dismay of my daughter. I ended up having to special order from Gamestop and pay additional shipping, but it was all worth it.

Greg Hanson
    Avtex Solutions, LLC

• 20.  RE: What was your "hard to get" holiday item?

GENESYS
    Posted 12-05-2022 08:08
    It was not for Christmas, but the one toy that I could not find for the longest time was Jim Carrey's The Riddler action figure. I remember calling toy and department stores to see if they had it and it took months for me to track one down. Now...it looks like I can get one for $6 on eBay.

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources