Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

• 1.  Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-18-2021 17:14
    We are trying to understand the configuration settings required to setup on-premise PBX integration for ether Avaya, Cisco or Asterisk.

#Integrations
    #Outbound
    #SIP/VolP
    #SystemAdministration
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Derek Cooke
    Upland Software

• 2.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-18-2021 22:46
    That's going to depend on your own business requirements around call load balancing, any requirement to integrate to other systems, security (PCI compliance) etc.

Using Cisco as an example it's also going to depend on if you're looking to route directly from say a CUBE to the Edges, or whether you want calls to go via something like CUCM first.  In each case you'll end up wanting one or more trunks configured in Genesys Cloud pointing to either the CUBES or to Publishers/Subscribers.  

Bottom line is that each organisation is probably going to have their own unique architecture/design requirements which you should gather first and then work towards a design based on those requirements.

I've got organisations built that connect CUCM to Genesys Cloud via a single SIP trunk configured in CUCM that contains the IP addresses of each Edge as destination.  The associated trunk on the Genesys Cloud side has the IPs of each CUCM node added in the SIP proxies list.  You can then also create separate trunks specifically to each CUCM node so you can test outbound calling through specific parts of the cluster.

Then I've also had organisations built where the call goes as far as CUBEs and from there via dial peers, profiles, server groups etc you control sending inbound calls across to a list of Edges and likewise accept "outbound" calls from any Edge to in turn pass out to the SIP carrier/PSTN.

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

• 3.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-19-2021 03:42
    Derek,
    In our lab. we connected Edge to Avaya Aura,
    If You want, You can send me the specific questions and I will try to answer

Best regards,

Yvgeni Liberman
    ITNavPro

• 4.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-19-2021 16:36
      |   view attached

As a starting point to better understand edge use.  

I've attached a screen shot of two setups.   Trunk option 1 uses the cloud edge of which we would need a rule setup on the FW to provide an external port for the session manager to talk with the cloud edge.   Trunk option 2 uses the on-prem edge of which I would assume that the registration is completely internal.   Is this correct or does the on-prem edge still require Genesys external ports / address to communicate?

Derek Cooke
    Upland Software

• 5.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-20-2021 02:47
    Derek,
    If You want, You can contact me directly and I will explain to You what You need to define.
    In general, You must create the Trunk/Signalling group in the CM, define AAR/ARS analysis+Routing Patern/s for routing calls to Genesys in the Avaya CM.
    In the Genesys Cloud, You need to configure Edge (and install it) + "External Trunk" 
    For example:

Best regards,

Yvgeni Liberman
    ITNavPro

• 6.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-21-2021 02:49
    Hi Yvgeni,

So, did you directly connect the Edge and Communication Manager via SIP trunk without Session Manager?

Thank you,
    Tetsuro

Tetsuro Fujisawa
    TSUZUKI DENKI CO LTD

• 7.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-21-2021 03:05
    Hello Tetsuro,
    Yes in our lab we made the direct connection, for my mind, it's more siple

Regards,
    Yvgeni

Best regards,

Yvgeni Liberman
    ITNavPro

• 8.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-20-2021 03:47
    Hi Derek,

Next to all other informative suggestions I would like to add follwoing.

I've implemented such an environment lately. GC Edge minis connected with Avaya (Avaya SM/CM and Avaya SBC). On our side I had a Audiocodes and I must say if I wasn't using the SBC on our side it would have been very complicated. Because there were a lot of situations where we needed to manipulate sip messages or do some other stuff which Edges can't also it was not always possible to do(easily) on Avaya. So the setup was GC Edges <> Audiocodes <> Avaya. Hope this also helps.

Kind regards,

Asad Saqlain

• 9.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-19-2021 04:49
    Hi

I have Avaya 4 X Session Managers connected to on prem Edges in full HA

I created a DNS entry on the SMGR and set the SIP entity to be the DNS name which has the edges on round robin.

If you want to prioritize you can set the load on one of the entries under the dns to 100 and the other to 200 and this will target edge 1 or 2 or whatever

Andy

Andy Jackson
    Ten Lifestyle Management Limited

• 10.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-19-2021 05:00
    I forgot to say, we have 4 DC with a pair of edges in each so in that scenario we have 4 DNS entries with ports to route the traffic, starting at 5062 (5061 is shared for webrtc so steer away from that)

Andy Jackson

• 11.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-29-2021 08:13
    After further investigation we found our problem with the help from Yvgeni Liberman and our local partner rep.  We found that BYOC Premise and BYOC Cloud are mutually exclusive.  Once an org has virtual edges then you can't have premise edges.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback and support.

..Derek

Derek Cooke
    Upland Software

• 12.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-29-2021 08:30
    When you set the org up you choose on prem or cloud version, this dictates the edges, we had ours originally done as cloud and had it converted to prem by support

Andy Jackson

• 13.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-29-2021 08:34
    Cool Nice to know thanks!

Derek Cooke
    Upland Software

• 14.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 10-29-2021 08:56
    How did you get on with Avaya integration, I have done mine 8 edge mins across 4 DC with 4 session managers

dead easy once you get your head around ports on the sip links

Andy Jackson

• 15.  RE: Looking for detailed configuration guide for setting up on-prem edge with a internal PBX

Posted 02-01-2023 16:21
    @Derek Cooke, did you end up integrating your Avaya Session Managers with BYOC Cloud Edge?  (Trunk option 1 in your diagram above)​

Dan Weber
    Computershare Inc.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources