View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Edge redundancy

• 1.  Edge redundancy

GENESYS
    Posted 04-09-2019 11:44
    Edited by Greg Shultz 04-09-2019 13:40
    As you may know, Genesys recommends that you deploy Edges in an N+1 configuration, where N is the number of Edges required to meet the expected maximum concurrent call load. Check out this new article along with the diagrams to get all the details on Edge redundancy:

Edge redundancy
    https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/edge-redundancy/

You'll also want to investigate this article:

Concurrent call capacity for Edge models
    https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/concurrent-call-capacity-edge-models/

#SystemAdministration
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Greg Shultz
    Senior Technical Writer
    Genesys

• 2.  RE: Edge redundancy

GENESYS
    Posted 04-09-2019 12:46
    Great explanation!

Jeff Jeff Beard
    Genesys - Employees
    PureCloud Documentation Manager
    https://help.mypurecloud.com

• 3.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 11-14-2019 20:59
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for the articles.  We are setting up a new SBC and the SBC routes calls to one of the 3 edges devices.  Do the edges have some kind of load balancing ability to distribute calls among the 3 edges?  Or calls will coming into the first and overflows to the other edges when it reaches the capacity?

Tha

Edward Wu
    BANK OF HAWAII

• 4.  RE: Edge redundancy

GENESYS
    Posted 11-15-2019 11:54
    Edward:

The quick answer to your question is, no. When it comes to inbound calls, the Edge does not have a built in load balancing scheme to distribute calls among other Edges.

While our redundancy scheme will help spread the calls among the Edges, it is primarily designed for handling maintenance and fault situations where one of your Edges becomes unavailable - it's not really a load balancing scheme.

When it comes to load balancing inbound calls among the Edges, you will want to configure your SBC to distribute (maybe a round robin) all the inbound calls among the three Edges in order to fully leverage the capacity of all three of the Edges.

If you only configure your SBC to route calls to a single Edge, once that Edge reaches its call capacity limit, it won't be able to handle any more inbound calls even though you have two more Edges with available capacity.

For example, if the SBC is only routing calls to Edge A, then Edge A will receive and direct the call to the appropriate station. If that station's primary is Edge B, then Edge B will handle the call. However, since the call path originated with Edge A, that means that Edge A will be a part of the call path for the duration of the call. So even though the station handling the call is on Edge B, Edge A is still tied up with the call.

So, to load balance incoming calls, your SBC needs to distribute inbound calls among the three Edges.

Greg Shultz
    Senior Technical Writer
    Genesys

• 5.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 11-15-2019 12:04
    Thank you for the detail explanation @Greg Shultz.  This really helps.  I really appreciate it. ​

Edward Wu
    BANK OF HAWAII

• 6.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 11-21-2019 16:46
    That's a great explanation Greg - thankyou.

For those Purecloud edge based users out there who are curious, providing round-robin delivery of calls from your SBC works correctly, the Purecloud edge devices work elegantly and simply and  provide high availability/redundancy and load-balancing for inbound calls.

We're with a tier-1 telco in Australia that has a product called "Enterprise SIP Connect".  It's a SIP service that is delivered to two separate datacentres via two separate links.  At the end of each of these links is a Purecloud edge device.  The Telco round-robins delivery of inbound SIP between these two links and voila - we have load balancing and redundancy for inbound, and the edges do the same for outbound.

It works really well, and though we only have 2 Edges in our network, a single device is enough to handle all of our telephony needs.  How do I know this?  Well, when we moved into our second datacentre we moved the Edge device in there 2 weeks before the SIP was delivered to it, so we were running our entire inbound and outbound service via a single Edge.  And when SIP was connected, the second Edge had calls round-robinned to it immediately. 

And the best part - the business didn't even know this was the case.

I'm quick to point out the many faults and shortcomings of Purecloud - you can read other posts of mine where I bemoan ACW issues, or the constant use of US date formatting (grrr), but for redundancy and load balancing, the Purecloud edge based system does EXACTLY what it says on the tin.

Christian Legg
    MyBudget

• 7.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 04-15-2020 18:34
    For outbound call, it uses random edges pulled from the 2 sites on the webRTC setup.  Is there a way to specify which edge?

Edward Wu
    BANK OF HAWAII

• 8.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 06-13-2022 14:59
    Hello, 
    I'm new in Genesys mypure.cloud and I've set up 4 Edges divided between two DCs.
    Unfortunately , I had an issue last week for a frozen EDGE and the redundancy didn't work , I must say, honestly ,that I didn't make the necessary (because I don't know how) to make the two edges redundant.
    I will be very grateful if someone can tell me how to setup properly this feature

best regards.

Mohamed SEBAI
    MEZZO

• 9.  RE: Edge redundancy

GENESYS
    Posted 06-13-2022 16:13
    There is a lot to consider. To begin with, in order to achieve proper redundancy, you need to make sure that you have taken into consideration concurrent call capacity of the Edges.

Concurrent call capacity for BYOC Premises Edge models - Genesys Cloud Resource Center
    Genesys Cloud Resource Center remove preview
    Concurrent call capacity for BYOC Premises Edge models - Genesys Cloud Resource Center
    BYOC Premises Edge model Concurrent call capacity* Customer Hardware Solution -... [More]
    View this on Genesys Cloud Resource Center >

To get the help you need, I would suggest that you contact Customer Care

About Genesys Cloud Customer Care - Genesys Cloud Resource Center
    Genesys Cloud Resource Center remove preview
    About Genesys Cloud Customer Care - Genesys Cloud Resource Center
    Genesys Cloud Customer Care is focused on your experience through a global, live... [More]
    View this on Genesys Cloud Resource Center >

Greg Shultz
    Senior Technical Writer
    Genesys

• 10.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 06-14-2022 00:54
    When you say "redundancy didn't work".. what do you mean exactly?  Also, you mention a frozen Edge.. did you take that Edge out of service? Have you considered your trunks/SBCs in your redundancy planning?

Vaun McCarthy

• 11.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 06-15-2022 05:43
    There is an old bug on going in which the Edge server becomes unresponsive (freeze) and the only way is to restart physically. The Bug is known to Genesys but they are carefully to fix it because of the side effects since it can break the pairing.

Gennaro Montanino

• 12.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 06-15-2022 05:53
    Thank you, and absolutely yes, 
    please find below the response from customer care about this issue, they are deploying a ix on June, 17th after 5 PM GMT in order to fix this issue :

"

Please be informed that this specific bug related to the old faulty kernel version is already being worked on by our internal Dev teams. Likewise, please be aware that as of May 16, development testing of the automated fix for the kernel panic has been completed. Several controlled implementation with product support have also been completed where the kernel update was done over the air (automated) with manual kernel update as fallback. Please be assured that the kernel image has been thoroughly tested and previous issues seen during manual update has been addressed.

On June 17 after 5 PM GMT, we will be enabling the feature toggle that will make the automated kernel image available to your org. This means that on the next maintenance schedule after the said date, the kernel image of your edges will be updated together with the usual updates of edge version. We ask that you please call our support line immediately should you encounter any unexpected behaviors that may point to an issue with the edges after the update.

best regards

Mohamed SEBAI
    MEZZO

• 13.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 06-17-2022 07:59
    This issue was going on for almost a year.

I had to update some edges to version 1.0.0.21121700 to avoid this problem.

• 14.  RE: Edge redundancy

Posted 06-20-2022 17:27
    Yes, this keeps happening to us and it takes out our entire call center. The Edge keeps responding to SIP requests so our SBC doesn't failover to the next Edge.

George Beikler
    EFG Companies

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources