PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

Posted 05-10-2022 16:02
    I do not think this is possible on servers without switchover, but just in case I thought i would ask.  I have an environment with a single server (CIC/Media pair) and no switchover. ever since upgrading from CIC 2020 R3 to  CIC 2021 R4, my server has lost the ability to consistently reboot. So rather than rebuild the CIC 2020 R3 version, I am wondering if there is a way to rollback to this version.  I assume this is only possible with Switchover and the previous code in still on one of the servers.

If this is possible, please let me know.
    #ArchitectureandDesign
    #AskMeAnything(AMA)
    #Implementation

------------------------------
    Christopher Becker
    State of Michigan - Oakland County - WRC

• 2.  RE: Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

Posted 05-11-2022 09:11
    Also - is there an issue with applying a new patch. I am on patch 6 and see 13 is not available. I was planning to apply patch 13 to see if this helps my issue.

Christopher Becker

• 3.  RE: Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

GENESYS
    Posted 05-12-2022 13:00
    2021 R4 Patch 13 is the newest.  It was released this past Tuesday, May 10, 2022.

CIC_2021_R4_Patch13.iso shows available to me on the Downloads page.

Patches are cumulative roll-ups, so when applying a Patch, it is best to always apply the latest one for your release in order to get all the bug fixes available since release.

Drew Drew Bisson
    Chief Architect
    Genesys - Employees

• 4.  RE: Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

GENESYS
    Posted 05-12-2022 13:02
    Also, why upgrade to 2021 R4?  At this point I would expect 2022 R1.  Maybe it is just a timing window for your testing?

Drew Drew Bisson
    Chief Architect
    Genesys - Employees

• 5.  RE: Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

Posted 05-12-2022 14:57
    Originally we were going to go to CIC 2020 R4 when is was quite current, but delays in the project and a lack of response to incidents had us moving to CIC 2021 R4. Since applying CIC 2021 R4, my QA system does not boot consistently. it seems to eventually come up and work, but i am reluctant to put this into production. I have had a case open for almost a month on this, and have not made any real progress.  So I am looking at moving to the latest version as you suggest, in hopes that it will resolve the issues.  It seems that the latest versions are looking for services we do not use, so they are not configured. The notifier ends up cancelling the CIC service due to the services not starting. I assume that the general exe to start CIC has been expanded to include these new services, but it seems to be my issue, or thats what my analysis of the logs points toward.

Christopher Becker

• 6.  RE: Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

GENESYS
    Posted 05-12-2022 15:48
    Can you share your Care case number?  
    To clarify, the server boots consistently, but the Interaction Center service does not start consistently?  

If you change the Interaction Center Service to disabled, I assume the server or VM starts up properly every time, right?

If you try to manually start the service after windows is fully started do you still encounter the failure or do you get to EventID 15008 in the Windows Application Event log which would indicate the service started successfully?

Have you tried setting the services to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" as opposed to just "Automatic"?

Which subsystem fails first during start up?  Have you tried increasing the start up timeout in the process event tree in the registry?

Drew Drew Bisson
    Chief Architect
    Genesys - Employees

• 7.  RE: Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

Posted 05-12-2022 15:59
    Would you want to e-mail me directly at beckerc@oakgov.com ?

Christopher Becker

• 8.  RE: Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

Posted 05-12-2022 17:35
    Edited by Christopher Becker 05-12-2022 17:37
    Can you share your Care case number? Case# 0003103884 - CIC does not start consistently

To clarify, the server boots consistently, but the Interaction Center service does not start consistently? correct.

If you change the Interaction Center Service to disabled, I assume the server or VM starts up properly every time, right? Correct.

If you try to manually start the service after windows is fully started do you still encounter the failure or do you get to EventID 15008 in the Windows Application Event log which would indicate the service started successfully? Correct

Have you tried setting the services to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" as opposed to just "Automatic"? I have the same inconsistency. 

Which subsystem fails first during start up? I am not sure exactly how to track this. if you want to tell me the logs I should be checking so i can establish a pattern, that would be so helpful. I believe they are identified in my case.

Have you tried increasing the start up timeout in the process event tree in the registry? No, I would love any and all information about this, and can I also turn off which processes are attempted?

Christopher Becker

• 9.  RE: Can I roll back an upgrade on a single server configuration?

GENESYS
    Posted 05-12-2022 17:51
    Remoco is the log to review.  You will also see each subsystem start trace out in the Windows Application Event log.  

See the registry screenshot on this page: https://help.genesys.com/pureconnect/mergedprojects/wh_re/desktop/hid_ic_process_tree.htm

IC Process Tree

The IC process tree is located in the registry at HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\ Services\Interaction Center\ProcessTree. Remoco first starts all of the subsystem in Level 1, then Level 2, and so on.

You can see that MaxStartupTime is a registry key setting for each subsystem.  If for example, Switchover fails to start up in time, you will see an error that it timed out while starting up.  If you see that, you can try increasing that time and see if the start up now completes in time.  I would not change these values beyond just for the sake of testing.  If a subsystem is failing to start in time, you will want to examine what it is doing (in that subsystem's log) to see why it is taking so long.

Drew Drew Bisson
    Chief Architect
    Genesys - Employees

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources