Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  CSV people import - only specific fields?

Posted 09-30-2022 20:43
    Hi guys

When using a CSV file to update existing users, the resource center article mentions the order that fields must be in.  However what happens if you only want to update say the divison, but you want to leave title, department as is?  If I leave those blank it will likely overwrite those fields which is not what I want.  If I include only name, email, division it sees that third column as being work_phone which isn't what i want either.

Are you forced to have to somehow populate the CSV with all current info rather than being able to build a CSV to update just the columns you want?
    #PlatformAdministration

------------------------------
    Vaun McCarthy

• 2.  RE: CSV people import - only specific fields?

GENESYS
    Posted 10-04-2022 07:48
    Edited by Jan Nico Feliciano 10-04-2022 07:49
    Hello Vaun,

I think the short answer here is yes. I'll let others chime in as I might just be unaware of other techniques but from my experience it has been the case.

I would reframe the perspective though to say that the CSV file is meant to be a backup of sorts and not just an initial input to the system. I find it easier to comb through the CSV file instead of the UI when trying to update specific fields, especially when there's already a large number of users. Also when other non-Admin folks need to update for whatever reason, sharing/working in CSV format is easier and simpler for them.

I admit it does feel like a disjointed experience because you can't export the list back to CSV. Its additional effort if you did not prepare for it - like if you discarded the file after upload, which I am guilty of on occasion - but having the CSV duplicate is good to have in your back pocket.

Nico Feliciano
    Genesys - Employees

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources