PureConnect

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  IC service not starting gracefully nor manually in some instances - 2021R4 P20

Posted 09-30-2022 16:28

Hello all,

Thought it would be wise to ask the experts here to see if any of you had ran into anything like this before. We're running 2021 R4 and recently installed Patch 20. We don't suspect Patch 20 is at fault, however our issue did begin around the same time as we applied the patch. This is a Windows 2016 physical server and what we're seeing is the IC service on reboot simply doesn't want to start normally. It also fails to start in many instance when we try to manually start it. IC and ININ Trace services are both set to Automatic (Delayed Start)

"Occasionally" upon reboot, IC does start gracefully and also "occasionally" when we manually attempt to start it, it will start. Actually if we see Interaction Center starting and bringing up services, then it will complete the startup process as expected and we eventually get a 15008. When it does NOT start, we see no IC log files nor does Application Log in Event viewer show anything other than the errors below.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? This is a new/strange one for us as this server had been fine up until that point. They have been pending OS patches, so we recently stepped through confirming all OS patches had been installed. The simple fact that IC is making no attempt to start in most cases makes us think something OS related running in the background.

Thanks all.

Here is what we typically see in Event Viewer when IC doesn't even try to start any services:

Event ID 7001
    The Interaction Center service depends on the WMI Performance Adapter service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service has not been started.

Event ID 7009 

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the ININ Tracing Initialization 21-4 service to connect.

Event ID 7000 

The ININ Tracing Initialization 21-4 service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

#PlatformAdministration
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    Shane

• 2.  RE: IC service not starting gracefully nor manually in some instances - 2021R4 P20

Posted 10-04-2022 01:43
    It seems something is blocking process start. Have you checked the anti virus log? Most anti virus software have a feature for process control with terminates processes if they try some suspicious actions. Perhaps they are overblocking here.

Andreas Tikart
    Fiebig GmbH

• 3.  RE: IC service not starting gracefully nor manually in some instances - 2021R4 P20

Posted 10-04-2022 12:34
    Hello Shane,

I had a period of instability when I was trying to validate the 2021 R4 upgrade on my QA environment to prepare for Prod.  I would have the CIC not start on a regular basis and it was so inconsistent, I simply decided to try the 2022 R1 upgrade. Once I did so, 90% of my issues with reboots disappeared.  I cannot say this will solve your issue, but i think it is the 2021 R4 that has an issue.

Christopher Becker
    State of Michigan - Oakland County - WRC

• 4.  RE: IC service not starting gracefully nor manually in some instances - 2021R4 P20

Posted 10-04-2022 12:43
    Thanks Andreas and Christopher! 

Andreas, we do have McAfee/Trellix running on these servers among other security software. Have not seen anything blocked recently and we have engaged the McAfee team to confirm nothing critical is being blocked. Interesting to note that McAfee/Trellix was updated (on both IC servers) on the same day we applied Patch 20 to Prod.

Christopher, strangely enough our Dev environment that's running 2021R4 does not seem to have this same issue. I totally get what you're saying though and if the behavior begins to occur again or worsen, we may have to consider that.

As an update, we are 90% sure this is related to SCCM and Pending Windows OS patches. We stepped through and applied any/all pending OS patches over the last few days and since that time IC has started consistently for us. I will update if we learn anything else. 

Thanks again.

Shane

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources