PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

• 1.  Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-07-2023 12:57

Hey, Folks!

I have got involved in a upgrade of CIC. The site is currently using 2020 R3 and needs to upgrade for support. They are also relocating one of the IC Servers and Media Servers, so the IP addresses will change. Finally, they are taking the opportunity to upgrade Windows.

So, the plan is to upgrade the Media Servers (Physical), build new IC Servers (VMs), and then use Migrator to move the config over.

It's been a while since I've done one of these, so I wanted to see if there are any obvious tripwires. Also, I know changing the IP on an IC Server is "interesting", but are there any special considerations for changing the IP on a Media Server? (I'm guessing it will need to be re-provisioned, but I'm not certain.)

So, any advice / thoughts?

Thanks

#Implementation
    #SystemAdministration
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Paul Simpson

• 2.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-07-2023 13:23
    Edited by Aaron Lael 11-07-2023 13:23

Paul,

With media servers, if I need to make host related changes I usually just uninstall and reinstall the media server application since it has so little actual configuration to it, then just reconnect it to the CIC's and re-trust the certifications.

There are a few specific entries in the media server web configuration that you could use the manually change the IP addresses if you want, I just think reinstalling tends to be easier.

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah - comments on this forum reflect my own personal opinions\observations and are separate from any entity I am otherwise involved in.

• 3.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-07-2023 13:30
    Edited by Paul Simpson 11-08-2023 15:04

Aaron,

Thanks, that could work. I was thinking of reprovisioning, but wasn't sure if new certs would have to be generated manually to pick up the IP address change.

Appreciate the feedback!

Paul Simpson

• 4.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-08-2023 09:41

Quick thing.
    - Media Servers are so easy, just reinstall them makes sense as Aaron mentioned.
    - When moving IC Server to other host or changing the NIC Card it is going to change the host ID, so, you will need to generate a new license. So, as soon as you install windows you can run the GetHostID utility and request a new license (in case you cannot generated by yourself) so you can proceed with the install of IC.

• Since you are only moving one server (at least for the begining), I would just reinstall the whole windows/IC combo (no migrator) and let Switchover mirroring process do its magic. Once the server is in full switchover, then you can move the other server (if that is what you want). The only catch when installing switchover is, you have to know if the new server was Server A or Server B on the original install and select the same role in the switchover config (meaning, Server A will ALWAYS be server A in the swover configuration, as B will always be B).

Good luck.

Roberto Rovelo
    ConvergeOne, Inc.

• 5.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-08-2023 13:36

Hey Paul - Nice to try and help you for once ;]   I agree with the reinstall Media servers and going through the re-trust.  For my set up, I do not have many of the other products, but my experience has been IP changes are not huge, outside the lines and creation of certs.  I have had to rebuild my environment from scratch 2 or 3 times, but each time, i have had new servers/ip/server names.  You will need to use a new host id when using the migrator.

I would also say use caution when trying to do the switchover method. If the vanilla version of the server becomes active/primary before your original, fully configured server does, it will 'wipe' the original, copying the vanilla server to the original (had this happen before - start all over.) 

Also, if you are building the CIC pair from scratch, once you do the initial install and patch, if i remember correctly, you want to do the install and patch on the second server.  Then run the Migrator on the first server, and it will copy everything to the second server in the pair.  Been a few years since i have had to do this, but i think it should go smooth. dont forget the old version of .Net (i think you will need both 3.5 and 4.7 - not one or the other.)  

Christopher Becker
    State of Michigan - Oakland County - WRC

• 6.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-08-2023 14:58
    Edited by Paul Simpson 11-08-2023 15:04

Thank you @Roberto Rovelo and @Christopher Becker for your responses.

We figured that since we had to upgrade Windoze as well, starting with a new VM pair was worthwhile, especially considering the move (and corresponding IP address change) I was aware of the HostID issue, but thanks for the reminder!

Regarding Switchover. The problem with using it in the way you describe is that Sync stops if the two servers are on different versions. So, I would have to install the new server with the old version of IC, re-create Switchover on the Production system, wait for a sync and then upgrade IC. Seems to me like a lot of effort and a lot of places it can go wrong....

The IP concern, was more for the Media Server that is moving. On balance, I think un-installing / re-installing will be the way to go for that one, since it's relatively easy to do (famous last words!). I have seen the havoc trying to change the IP address on an IC Server can cause. (Although, not as much as changing the Hostname!!! 😮)

Also, nice call-out on .Net! I forgot about that....

Paul Simpson

• 7.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-21-2023 10:26

OK, so I'm about to pull the trigger on this.

It's been a while since I've used Migrator, but I seem to recollect that it's better to migrate object classes separately / in groups? I also seem to remember that there are some objects that it's better to manually recreate.

Does anyone have experience of this / can you remind me?

Thanks!

Paul Simpson

• 8.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-21-2023 11:59

when it comes to the Migrator - you want to make sure you have the same version. I would recommend installing the Highest version of migrator first, then run it on the old system, then import it on new system with same version of migrator. You will also need a different host id for the new system (there is a step in the migrator.) 

I cannot really speak to the different systems, as we do not use much of the other aspects of the system. Make sure you copy all your custom handlers and then bring them in after the migration.  The migrator is supposed to do this, but your mileage may vary. 

Christopher Becker

• 9.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-22-2023 15:08

Thanks, Christopher!

Yeah, I have the latest Migrater ready to go and will watch out for the ID you mention. (I assume you are referring to the Site ID, not the License HostID, which is obviously different?)

The Custom Handlers are one of my concerns. Unfortunately, I don't have much information of the history of the system. The upgrade is happening due to a site move and the fact that it's too old for support. Nobody really knows much and whilst I have been told there are no Custom Handlers, there are some files in the Handlers\Custom directory. The project doesn't have the time or budget for me to do a thorough review, and it could well be that stock handlers have been illegally modified in situ, in which case we just have to keep out fingers crossed. We will see. I promise to report back and let everyone know what happened! 😮

Paul Simpson

• 10.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-22-2023 15:19

yes - it is the site id you need to be different than the id used in system you are migrating from.  I too had the opportunity to figure out the discrepancies between the documentation I had, and custom handlers in our source control and the ones that the system actually had.  I would recommend using the handlers dir in the server dir (d:\i3\ic\server\handler)  as the source of truth.

Christopher Becker

• 11.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-22-2023 17:28

Yes, that is the best place to look to determine the latest version of Handlers published. Determining which ones have changed from the stock ones is the challenge....

Thanks again for your input!

Paul Simpson

• 12.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-22-2023 11:26

Paul,

Sorry to be a bit late to the conversation and great suggestions from everyone (especially Roberto :-)), and I agree on the Media Servers. They are best installed cleanly and re-trusted. However, using Migrator is typically our last resort. We have had 100% success doing in-place upgrades of Windows, as long as:

• There has not been a previous in-place upgrade
    • There is a viable in-place upgrade path (per Microsoft)
    • You can align the Windows versions with the PureConenct versions

Ideally, performing the Windows upgrade 1st, testing and validating, and then moving to the PureConenct updates.

If any way possible, let Switchover perform the synchronization to your "new" host. Being aware of the A and B roles is key here.

I realize I didn't cover your exact scenario in detail, but I suspect there is a way to complete the needed tasks and not need Migrator. Please DM me if you want to review in more detail. 

Chris Mayo
    Director, Professional Services - Genesys
    ConvergeOne

• 13.  RE: Migrating and Upgrading to 2023 R2

Posted 11-22-2023 15:17

Thanks, Chris.

Unfortunately, this is a one off, where I don't have a full history of the site, so I cannot comment on previous updates. An added complication (actually, the thing that sparked the whole upgrade) is that one of the servers is being moved to a new Data Center, and so is getting a new IP Address. The customer realized that the system was so far out of date that they wouldn't get support for this move, so the upgrade was requested. The SQL Server has already been replaced (its version was too old for either M$ support or IC Compatibility). The Media Servers have been upgraded (although the one that will move will be reinstalled following the move - that seems the easiest way to accommodate the address change.) So I'm hoping we are on the home stretch!

As you may know, renaming IC Servers, or changing their IP addresses can have "interesting" side effects. We also don't have a massive window, So the decision was made to build new servers, leaving the original ones intact in case of the need to roll back. Additionally, as you are probably aware, every time you install or upgrade IC, it leaves behind a whole bunch of "temporary" install files. These start to chew up disk space and I have had upgrades fail in the past due to running out of this space! So a "clean start" seemed the safest.

The only real concern I have (see other parts of this thread) are Custom Handlers.

If you have any other catches, or gotchas, let me know.

I will report back on the success (or otherwise) of the project.

Paul Simpson

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources