Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Participant Data retrieval and limits

• 1.  Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 28 days ago

Hi,

We want to understand the path traversed by the caller in our IVR and for this we are leveraging Participant Data[PD] to get these details. But from the API limits (https://developer.genesys.cloud/organization/organization/limits#search) we see that the PD is capped at 20480. This is not very clear to me and hence have following questions:

• Does this mean that for a user conversation the limit is 20k?
    • What happens if the limit exceeds 20k will the call fail in case of IVR?
    • If the limit is only for the API to get the data out from Genesys cloud and not on the amount of PD that can be set for a conversation, then how can we get the entire participant Data for reporting/analytics purposes?
    • Limits API - What does this API mean? Is this doing a search of a keyword in the top 20k data of PD? What would be the use of this API?

#Reporting/Analytics

------------------------------
    Tejaswini Nayak
    Target Corporation

• 2.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 27 days ago

I feel your pain, although if you are creating 20k of logging information on a single call, you must have some VERY complex flows! 😲

Have you considered the new "replay" mode to track a call through the IVR?

Also, consider Flow milestones and outcomes to follow a call's progress.

HTH

Paul Simpson
    Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

• 3.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 27 days ago

Thank you Paul for the response, it is very helpful and yes, you are right, We do have complex flows generating more than 20k data. Any documentation or more details on this "replay" would be helpful. Also can you give your views on the below specific points. I just want to get more understanding on how and why the system is created that way

• Does this mean that for a user conversation the limit is 20k?
    • What happens if the limit exceeds 20k will the call fail in case of IVR?
    • If the limit is only for the API to get the data out from Genesys cloud and not on the amount of PD that can be set for a conversation, then how can we get the entire participant Data for reporting/analytics purposes?
    • Limits API - What does this API mean? Is this doing a search of a keyword in the top 20k data of PD? What would be the use of this API?

Tejaswini Nayak
    Target Corporation

• 4.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 26 days ago

I don't understand why some developers choose to use participant data logs for storage. Logs might be fine, but storing clients' data in this way can lead to problems with real-time reporting and API rate limits.

Why aren't you using well-designed and inexpensive cloud storage solutions like Azure Tables? They are almost free, easy to use, and facilitate reporting and navigation.

There are many efficient tools available-why limit yourself?

Here I've made comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN_7enhQk5Y 

Taras Buha
    taras@noralogix.com
    www.noralogix.com

• 5.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 24 days ago

We are using participant data to capture some basic information about the caller's interactions with the IVR (e.g. menu selections or zip code entered four call routing purposes) and have discovered that data isn't always available via API for the last flow the caller interacts with.

for example, we offer some basic self service in the IVR; if the caller disconnects without routing to an agent, some percentage of those calls have no participant data stored as attributes that we can retrieve via POST /api/v2/analytics/conversations/details/jobs -- however, it does existing from the UI in the individual interaction records.

According to Genesys engineers: "the attributes are being set after the interaction ends, and so the Analytics service is no longer receiving the attribute data at that point. ... The attributes are being set too late and analytics stops paying attention to the updates. It's been brought up before, but analytics is not able to listen to updates after the conversation ends. The other fun trick is that the edge only sends the participant attributes to the cloud once the flow ends. So the flow ends and everything gets cleaned up, participant attributes get sent to the cloud, and it's already too late. This wouldn't be an issue if it were a transfer to another queue or something like that, but since the conversation disconnects, it's an issue."

We're still evaluating the impact but we no longer trust the call attributes/participant data for accurate volume reporting using the API. 

Roberta Wermer
    Cognosante Holdings, LLC

• 6.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 22 days ago

One of the ways around this is to use Common Modules. I create a Common Module in all of my Orgs that appends a logging message to a logging Attribute (it also adds a Date/Timestamp.) This is not only more convenient, but the system writes the updated value back to the Attribute at the end of the Common Module Flow each time it is called.

Whilst this doesn't allow for attributes to be written after the interaction disconnects, it certainly ensures more is captured.

Paul Simpson
    Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

• 7.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

GENESYS
    Posted 15 days ago

Hello Tejaswini Nayak,

Answering your questions below: 

• Does this mean that for a user conversation the limit is 20k? The 20KB limit is just that of the participant search endpoint (

/api/v2/conversations/participants/attributes/search ) 

• What happens if the limit exceeds 20k will the call fail in case of IVR? No.
    • customers can store much more and get it back the next day from them Analytics /jobs endpoint.
    • Limits API - What does this API mean? Is this doing a search of a keyword in the top 20k data of PD? What would be the use of this API? 

The link you shared is taking me to the generic limits API page. But if you are referring to the limits on this end-point: https://developer.genesys.cloud/organization/search/conversation-participant-attribute-search

this end-point provides real-time access to participant attributes for conversations with attributes <20KB

, searchable by the following parameters: 

Searchable Field

Field type

Description

conversationId

String

The ID of the conversation

startTime

String

The start time of the conversation

endTime

String

The end time of the conversation

divisionId

String

Search against specific division IDs. If the divisionId criteria is not included in your query, then the search will be made against all division IDs for which the user has view permissions

As a general guidance on the usage of Participant Data, and noticing you are creating larger than 20K logging info within Participant Data, we strongly recommend moving away from this practice and use one of the following options for log and debugging purposes: 

Option 1: Flow Milestones and Flow Execution Data from Architect

• Flow milestons let you capture "path" information of what is being hit in your call flows. You can then report on them. They were originally put in to capture analytics about what part of the call flows were being executed. They can help track path information.

• You might want to chat with your TAM to learn more about this feature and enabling it . The architect team has built a flow replay that will essentially a debugger for flow calls where you can capture X amount of days worth of flow data and then select a specific call and walk through the flow to see what is happened visually.

• These are the epics that are in Beta right now: 
    • PURE- 4794:Provide historical execution data for bot flows and digital bot flows to understand user journeys and troubleshoot
    • PURE - 5182: Provide historical execution data for call flows and digital flows to understand user journeys and troubleshoot

Option 2: As Taras mentioned below, is to use a well-designed and inexpensive cloud storage solutions like Azure Tables for the time being .I found this video very helpful :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN_7enhQk5Y 

I feel your frustration around debugging flows, but I do know the Architect team has been working on improving the overall experience. 

Also in 2025, we are introducing the concept of Schematized Conversation Custom Attributes. Follow the progress of this feature through this Aha idea : https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/ANLS-I-702

Mojdeh Toyserkani
    -----------------------------------------
    Director, Product Management - Data Platform
    Genesys - Employees

• 8.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 3 days ago

Thank you for the detailed response Fatemeh Toyserkani. That helps.

I created a sample flow generating big amount of participant data. Like you said the call worked but in the GenesysUI->Interactions->The Particicpant Data section was empty with the message "Not available for this conversation."

• I then tried /jobs endpoint following the steps mentioned in Conversation-details-job it did not return anything for the conversation. Am I missing something here? 
    • I also want to know the maximum amount of participant attributes that can come up in GenesysUI->Interactions->The Participant Data section and also retrieved using/jobs endpoint. Can someone throw light on this? I do see some of our interactions >20k are also displayed in the participant Data section. So I want to check my understanding here. The way I check size right now is by putting the attributes section of conversation details api response in a text pad, removing spaces and newlines,saving it.

Thanks

Tejaswini

Tejaswini Nayak
    Target Corporation

• 9.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

GENESYS
    Posted 3 days ago

@Tejaswini Nayak let me add some clarifications: 

Hope this helps. 

Mojdeh Toyserkani
    -----------------------------------------
    Director, Product Management - Data Platform
    Genesys - Employees

• 10.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 3 days ago

@Fatemeh Toyserkani - could you please expand a little about how the Interaction Details tab populates the Participant Data section?

We have occasional calls where participant data is captured from the IVR and correctly shows up in the Interaction Details Participant Data if we pull up a specific interaction record, but running the /api/v2/analytics/conversations/details/jobs for that same Conversation ID is missing those attributes.

I have a support case open but it's been unclear how the data can exist somewhere from which UI can present it but not where we can extract via API for reporting, etc.

Thanks!

Roberta Wermer
    Cognosante Holdings, LLC

• 11.  RE: Participant Data retrieval and limits

Posted 3 days ago

@Fatemeh Toyserkani Thank you!! I get it now that 20k is limit for search API only. But like I explained earlier for my sample flow which generated huge participant data, it did not show it in Interaction details tab as well as job endpoints which I checked after 24hrs which makes me wonder now if there is any other maximum limit on the participant data for the Conversation-details-job.

Any idea why I am getting Participant data in Interactions tab "Not available for this conversation." for the conversation though the call worked perfectly fine. I checked it after 24hrs in both Interactions tab and jobs endpoint and both are not showing up any participant data attributes.

Tejaswini Nayak
    Target Corporation

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources