Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  SMS Opt out default messsage suppression.

Posted 02-02-2023 16:24
    Hi,

We send SMS from our IVR when the user requests, and so we have created an inbound message flow to handle when they reply "STOP", etc.

We need to reply in multiple languages so the default messages aren't suitable for us.

I can't see anywhere that allows you to edit the default messages, so in the inbound message flow we're checking in the message contains the SMS opt-out keywords, and we respond / react accordingly.

However the problem is that the default messages are still sent as well, so the client receives our "custom" message on top.

Is there a way / best-practice to stop the default messages or is it something Genesys does not allow you to remove in order to have a failsafe?

Thanks.
    #DigitalChannels

------------------------------
    James Dunn
    Pitney Bowes Inc.

• 2.  RE: SMS Opt out default messsage suppression.

Posted 02-13-2023 04:00

Bump - just in case anyone has any suggestions.

James Dunn
    Pitney Bowes Inc.

• 3.  RE: SMS Opt out default messsage suppression.

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2023 07:48

Hi James --

We might have some options depending on the number type you are using.  Can you please send me a direct email, katie.ritz@genesys.com with your Org details as well as the number and response information you are looking to send back?  

Thanks,

Katie Ritz
    Sr Director Product Management
    Genesys - Employees

• 4.  RE: SMS Opt out default messsage suppression.

Posted 02-15-2023 20:24

On a side question to this - I'm curious that your 'custom' message is being sent in addition to the 'default'

I've implementing an architect flow to look for the opt-out keywords and send a custom response - but I only ever get the default message for the opt-out.

The interaction transcript shows my custom message has been sent, but the user's number must get blocked from receiving replies before it reaches the Architect flow.

Ultimately I'd love to stop the entire Opt-Out process (as some messages we send are legally not required to have an opt-out) or at least get the custom message to them before the block takes place.

Jeff

• 5.  RE: SMS Opt out default messsage suppression.

Posted 02-16-2023 04:39

@Jeff Hoogkamer 

When you say 

the user's number must get blocked from receiving replies before it reaches the Architect flow.

Do you mean because the user sent 'STOP'? 

I may be wrong but I'm not sure it actually blocks the number from receiving replies - or at least it didn't for me. I think the expectation is that you do that logic yourself.

What about if you reply 'HELP' (one of the keywords), do you get the default response and a custom response?

James Dunn
    Pitney Bowes Inc.

• 6.  RE: SMS Opt out default messsage suppression.

Posted 02-16-2023 09:11

I may be completely off-base here, but I believe all of this is done by the SMS broker Genesys uses. They send the response and they block outbound SMS following an opt-out (until there is an opt-in.)

This would explain why your custom messages appear to be sent, but never arrive.

I can see this becoming something Genesys will need to address as there are lots of reasons why you may want to take control of the process (including those mentioned here.)

I suspect that it's probably a compliance matter, maybe the liable entity is the broker, as opposed to the owner of the ORG?

Paul Simpson
    Eventus Solutions Group

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources