View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

• 1.  Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 01-31-2024 11:01

Community members,

I want to provide an update on our plans around transfer functionality.  There are a number of highly requested ideas in the ideas portal in this area which we have plans to address over time in a number of stages, starting today with the announcement in this week's release notes https://help.mypurecloud.com/releasenote/january-31-2024/ for new transfer APIs and permissions.  This is initially an API only release; more details below.

New transfer APIs and granular transfer permissions

The first stage in our transfer roadmap is to introduce permissions for transfers. This is tracked by a number of ideas, which have generally been merged to https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/INB-I-915.  This is represented on our roadmap as 'Decompose Transfer Permissions into more granular functions'.  When implemented, administrators will be able to configure whether users can perform blind or consult transfers to any other user, any queue or any external contact.  Controlling transfers to specific queues (by schedule, media type, or by excluding/including specific queues) is not part of the scope of this feature, however this is foundational work which will allow us to progress those other features.

Because our transfer APIs don't currently have any permissions associated, to implement this feature we've had to bring in new APIs with their own permissions.  Those new APIs and permissions will be released this week under https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/CEIH-I-71 'Transfer APIs which have permissions to restrict transfers to queue, users or external contacts', and can be used by any third party transfer tools which are in use. 

New transfer APIs:

• POST /api/v2/conversations/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/replace/agent
    • POST /api/v2/conversations/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/replace/external
    • POST /api/v2/conversations/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/replace/queue
    • POST api/v2/conversations/calls/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/consult/agent
    • POST api/v2/conversations/calls/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/consult/queue
    • POST api/v2/conversations/calls/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/consult/external

New granular transfer permissions:

• conversation>communication>blindTransfer
    • conversation>communication>consultTransfer
    • conversation>communication>blindTransferAgent
    • conversation>communication>blindTransferQueue
    • conversation>communication>blindTransferExternal
    • conversation>communication>consultTransferAgent
    • conversation>communication>consultTransferQueue
    • conversation>communication>consultTransferInternal

When the new APIs are initially released, the transfer functions in the user interface will not immediately be updated to use those APIs.  This is because we first need to run an automated backfill of the new permissions to the Employee user role, so that on moving to the new APIs, there will be no loss of functionality for users performing transfers.  That may not catch all users currently performing transfers (for example, where organizations have removed the Employee role from their users).  This may necessitate us engaging with some organizations to ensure the required permissions are put in place for any custom roles.

Once we're sure that all roles currently performing transfers across all GC orgs have the new permissions, we'll then be able to update the transfer functions in the Genesys Cloud user interface to point at the new APIs.  Because all the roles currently performing transfers will have the new permissions, there will be no loss of functionality for agents, or indeed any difference at all in capability from before the update.  

At that point, administrators will be able to remove any permissions which they don't want agents to have.  For example where an agent should be restricted from blind transfers to other agents or external contacts, the administrator would remove the conversation>communication>blindTransfer permission, and add the conversation>communication>blindTransferQueue permission.  The update of the user interfaces (agent UI and embedded client/embedded framework) to use the new APIs will be tracked by https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/INB-I-915 (please check the merged ideas if you're tracking a different Idea reference).

So to summarize the plan here:

1. https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/CEIH-I-71 releases new transfer APIs and permissions (In progress)
    2. Genesys runs automated backfill of new permissions to all roles currently doing transfers (in progress)
      1. This step may involve us needing to work with specific customers to ensure all roles are backfilled, and so may take a number of weeks
    1. Genesys updates transfer UIs to use the new transfer APIs (timing TBC) and releases under https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/INB-I-915

Roadmap for transfer functionality  

On completion of this work, we'll progress to other areas of the transfer roadmap, to include:

I hope with this progression we'll be addressing some of the core challenges you're all facing with transfers.  I appreciate your continued feedback on how we can improve Genesys Cloud in this area.

#Roadmap/NewFeatures

------------------------------
    David Farrell
    Genesys - Employees

• 2.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

Posted 01-31-2024 15:49

Hi David, thanks.  This is an excellent update and much appreciated.  This is the level of comms we're all hoping to see across the board :)

Vaun McCarthy

• 3.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

Posted 02-19-2024 15:24

Do we have any release dates for the above?

Clayton Curtis
    Enova Online Services, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 02-21-2024 11:34

Hi Clayton - I'm targeting around the end of April.  We're still on step 2 above.

David Farrell
    Genesys - Employees

• 5.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 02-22-2024 22:48

Hi David, thanks for the information. The new granular transfer permissions are great! Looks like the Genesys Cloud UI has been updated to use those permission. The consult transfer button disappear when the Conversation Communication consultTransfer is removed from the user. However, this permission does not affect the Embeddable Framework; the consult transfer button remains visible and operational there. Wondering if there's a roadmap item to apply the permission to the Embeddable Framework?

Thanks 

Bin Li
    Genesys - Employees

• 6.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 02-23-2024 10:41

No, the UI hasn't been updated yet.  Not sure why you're not seeing the transfer button but it's not related to the application of the permissions by the agent desktop UI.  We'll aim to update the UI of the embedded client at the same time as we update the UI for the Genesys Cloud agent desktop.  The embedded framework update will follow later, timeline TBC.

David Farrell
    Genesys - Employees

• 7.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

Posted 03-25-2024 01:58

Hi David,

https://genesyscloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/INB-I-915

I understand this idea will be released. If this idea is released, for example, will users who do not have blind transfer permissions no longer see the blind transfer operation buttons in the UI? This is a feature that my customers have also requested.

Takanori Ueno
    NEC Corporation

• 8.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 03-25-2024 05:33

That's correct.

David Farrell
    Genesys - Employees

• 9.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

Posted 17 days ago

David,

Can you help clarify the delivery of this project? I see now in my roles the ability to remove the permission Conversation>Communication>blindTranser but that doesn't appear to do anything to prevent the agent from using blind transfer or changing the UI. In looking at the roadmap, I see a target release of April 22nd for the ability to control transfer behavior, but the attached idea is related to removing the Blind transfer/Consult Transfer UI. Thanks in advance!

Izeck McRae
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

• 10.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 16 days ago

Hi Izeck

It's a little involved, I'll try to clarify.  We're currently at step 2a in the process above.  The new permissions and APIs were introduced in step 1 a number of weeks ago, but the UI doesn't use them yet.  Step 3 will update the agent desktop and Salesforce embedded client UIs to use the new APIs and enforce the new permissions.  That development work is done, but not rolled out.  We're currently verifying that the new permissions have been backfilled to all the roles which currently do transfers.  Only after we've confirmed that, will we then update the UI.  The UI won't be 'removed', rather options (buttons or tabs) will be hidden, depending on the permissions present.  And just to reiterate: the purpose of the backfill is to make sure that nobody sees any change in behaviour after we release the UI changes, until and unless they go in and remove the backfilled permissions from their roles.

David Farrell
    Genesys - Employees

• 11.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

Posted 15 days ago

Will this plan allow for agents to see queue status (uses the queue search API) without being able to actually transfer to them?  We currently prevent queue search for the agents to force them to only transfer to external contacts that point at Flows for pre-queue processing logic.  Would be nice to be able to let an agent search for a transfer option, and see both the queue name with current EWT/waiting callers, in addition to the external contact they are used to seeing.

Paul McGurn
    Manager, Telecom & DevOps
    GoTo

• 12.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 12 days ago

Hi Paul - no, there won't be any additional data displayed as part of this change.

David Farrell
    Genesys - Employees

• 13.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

Posted 12 days ago

Hi David,

Question on this API POST /api/v2/conversations/{conversationId}/participants/{participantId}/replace/external

if I am doing this on an email, as an example, do i put the external contact's email address as the address or the external contact ID? I tested last week by replacing the queue participant with an external contact's email address.. and wasn't able to successfully get it to work.

I was hoping this would allow me to use a data action to monitor an email queue and send it out to a user's email address outside of the system.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Stoltenberg
    TTEC Digital

• 14.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 9 days ago

Hi Peter

Is this something that you could do with the old APIs?  My understanding is it's not possible under either old or new APIs.

David Farrell
    Genesys - Employees

• 15.  RE: Transfers roadmap including new transfer APIs

GENESYS
    Posted 9 days ago

Quick update.  

We're pushed out the GA date for the ability to restrict transfers in the UI by 4 weeks provisionally. The reason for this is that the process of backfilling the required permissions (step 2 in my original post) has not reached all orgs/roles which are currently performing transfers. We need this gap to be closed in order to not create any impact when we release this change. Further updates to follow as we work on addressing this.

David Farrell
    Genesys - Employees

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources