Trivia Tower

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Trivia Answers - International Holidays

GENESYS
    Posted 12-19-2022 09:43

Out of the trivia that we've done so far, this one may have given you all the most trouble, so answers are below. Nicole will announce our winner ASAP.

Now it is mostly known as a day for shopping, but what holiday has its roots in giving gifts to the poor?
    • Black Friday
    • Boxing Day
    • Cyber Monday
    • Labor Day

Context - If you picked Cyber Monday...I need answers. 

May 4th, may not be an official holiday, but it's now famous for what?
    • Start of Olympic Trials
    • Start of Tax Season
    • Start of NFL Draft
    • Star Wars Celebration

Context - May the 4th be with you, always.

All of the following are real, but which one does not have a standard time period for celebration?
    • Yom Kippur
    • Roman Holiday
    • National Buffet Day
    • Free Comic Book Day

Context - I thought this was just a title for a movie. Looks like some of you might have felt the same way. 

Which of the following is not a real event?

• Lebowski Fest
    • International Ninja Day
    • Vulcan Day
    • Saffron Harvest

Context - Live long and prosper on your own time, Vulcan!

What was recently identified as the most active shopping day of the year?
    • Black Friday
    • Christmas Eve Eve
    • The Day After Christmas
    • Prime Day

Context - I guess I should be relieved that my stepfather isn't the only one doing ALL of their shopping on that day.

Which of the following is NOT an Italian tradition celebrated by some?
    • Bagpipers Go Door to Door Playing Music Around the Christmas Season
    • Christmas Eve's Meal Features Fish
    • Eating Pork and Lentils on New Year's Eve Can Lead to Prosperity
    • Wearing white underwear on New Year's Eve Can Lead to Success and a New Start

Context - The others are noted as being traditions for some and there was SOME truth to the correct answer, however, they need to wear RED underwear vs white to get the desired effects.

What is regarded by Guinness World Record as the Most Watched Television Program?
    • Chinese New Year's Eve Gala
    • Fifa World Cup
    • Opening of the Olympics
    • Eurovision

Context - I had no idea. I was afraid this one would be obvious because the other options are not "holidays" but trivia (including coming up with questions) is hard!

Which country did a weather forecast in an elvish language?
    • Ireland
    • Greenland
    • New Zealand
    • Scotland

Context - The land where the movies were filmed plays for keeps.

Which of the following is not a common symbol associated with Dia Los Muestos?
    • Butterflies
    • Flowers
    • Musical Instruments
    • Skulls

Context - With apologies to our friend Coco, Butterflies, Flowers, and Skulls are the most popular symbols for this holiday.

What animal has its own festival in South Africa?
    • Whales
    • Elephants
    • Lions
    • Cranes

Context - I was hoping South Africa would help to narrow this down, because I am sure that all of these animals have festivals, but South Africa is becoming a tourist destination in part to their festival that celebrates the whales as they migrate.

In the UK, what day is typically regarded as the deadline to remove holiday decorations?
    • Candlemas Day
    • Shrove Tuesday
    • Twelfth Night
    • New Year's Day

Context - I had no idea that Twelfth Night was anything more than a Shakespeare play.

To start Carnival, the mayor of Rio must hand over the keys of the city to whom?
    • A local celebrity (voted by the people)
    • King Momo
    • "Everyone"
    • The Carnival King & Queen
    Context - Where are my Avatar: The Last Airbender fans? I wonder if King Momo has big ears?

------------------------------
    Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 2.  RE: Trivia Answers - International Holidays

GENESYS
    Posted 12-19-2022 11:12
    Thanks for running a truly challenging trivia event, @Matt Lawson! This was a super tight race, and the players were really on top of their international holiday game. However, we have two players that tied for first place and will be sent to the tie-breaker round. @Ashiesh Sharma and @Addison Hild congratulations!

I'll be emailing you a Google Form that will have a timed trivia tie-breaker for you two to complete. Try and get as many answers in as you can in the five minutes allotted. But be warned...it's not going to be easy! You have until end-of-day Wednesday, Dec. 21st to get your form back to me so I can send out the finalist's prize before I take a holiday vacay.

Good luck and I can't wait to announce the winner!​​​

Nicole Milliken
    Genesys - Employees

• 3.  RE: Trivia Answers - International Holidays

GENESYS
    Posted 12-21-2022 16:18
    The tie-breaker results are in and we now have an "International Holidays" winner! @Addison Hild, CONGRATS!! It was a tight race, but you pulled it out with our timed trivia quiz. Way to go! You get your pick from the Prize Wall and I have already sent you a Microsoft form to fill out.

Everyone else: Thank you so much for playing and @Ashiesh Sharma, don't give up yet! We have more trivia coming your way in January with our "2022 in Review." So please join us then for another great chance to win! 

And if you're hungry for a few more ways to win before the holidays, check out our Prize Wall page and scroll to "Current Contests" where you can see active events in our various communities.

Have fun out there!​​

Nicole Milliken
    Genesys - Employees

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources