Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Understanding the Audit Viewer / Audit viewer API

Posted 06-14-2022 07:01
    Hi,

I'm trying to understand the Audit Viewer. The key piece of information I want to get from this is who actually executed the action, but, unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem to be available.

For example in the screenshot attached, the value in the Entity column is the ID of the user who was updated. How can I see who performed that update? Clicking on the eye icon to expand doesn't give this info and, unless I'm missing it, I can't see it if I pull this transaction in the Audit API either?

In this case, I performed these actions but I don't see how I could tell that from the Audit log?

I feel like I must be overlooking something trivial.
    #SystemAdministration

------------------------------
    James Dunn
    Pitney Bowes Inc.

• 2.  RE: Understanding the Audit Viewer / Audit viewer API

Posted 06-14-2022 23:01
    Hi,

I have also tested this and noted below results.

• If I make the changes to a queue then Entity Column shows the Queue Name i.e Object that has been updated and User Column shows the name of user who made the changes.
    • However if I make the changes to a user profile then Entity Column shows the ID of user that has been updated and User Column shows the name of same user who has been updated. 

This is inconsistent behavior so I think this needs to be logged with Genesys Support. 

Thanks

Muhammad Zubair Awan
    Spark NZ Trading

• 3.  RE: Understanding the Audit Viewer / Audit viewer API

Posted 06-27-2022 14:26

I have noticed the same thing in various queries using the Audit Viewer.

From a UX perspective, having easy access to the human-readable value of the user that made a change, seems like something that should be a part of every query result set where a user initiated the event. I would also argue that having any existing human-readable value (Entity Name) for any Entity always be presented, would fall under the category of a Best Practice. 

At a minimum, the query results should always present the: Who, What and When in human-readable values related to any event, without the user that initiated the query having to do any extra work. A perfect example of this is when you do a query for Datatable events, the results include the Entity ID of the Datatable, but not the actual Table Name. Why would I want to have to copy the Datatable ID from the Audit Viewer results and then have to either swivel-chair over to the Datatable page in the Genesys Cloud CX client or to the API interface to do an additional query for the Datatable Name? Maybe the logs don't contain the Table Name value. If that's the case, that would be disappointing. Going to the trouble of creating change logs, but not thinking about real people ever reading the logs is seems very half-baked. Hopefully, that's not the case. 

Patrick Rohlf
    Summit Broadband

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources