Workforce Engagement Management

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Unpaid time in a Workplan

Posted 02-21-2024 11:15

I have a question that I think I know the answer to but am looking for confirmation. Normally when working in a workplan I can enter in a paid PTO and that time will take the place of any on queue time I have scheduled. However, when I try to enter an unpaid time such as a Leave of Absence it doesn't take the place of on queue time. It will add the Leave of Absence but then it just extends the on queue time. 

I am thinking it is because we do not have any planning periods set at the management level as I receive the below warning when I look at the planning period constraints tab. Is it a safe to say that if I were to create a planning period at the management unit level that I would then have the option to tell the system it is ok to have a workplan with no scheduled paid time and would then be able to enter in an unpaid leave of absence without Genesys automatically extending on queue time?

#WorkforceManagement

------------------------------
    Melissa Palmer
    Cox Automotive Corporate Services, LLC

• 2.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan

GENESYS
    Posted 02-21-2024 11:57

Unpaid leave seems better served by creating time-off requests with a specific time-off activity code - full-day, paid/unpaid. Full-day means we won't try to schedule time elsewhere. Non full-day and it will potentially schedule elsewhere based on the work plan constraints (earliest start, latest stop, time between shifts, minimum daily/weekly paid time, etc.).

Jay Langsford
    VP, R&D

• 3.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan

Posted 02-21-2024 14:03

Thank you for the quick reply Jay. Using the time-off request makes sense as far as getting it on the actual schedule but just to be sure I understand is there no way to list unpaid time on the workplan itself? Currently, we are only generating schedules a week at a time. If a workplan is built this week for next week's schedule and I want to add an unpaid leave of absence on a workplan (because the schedule doesn't exist yet) can I do that?

Melissa Palmer

• 4.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan

GENESYS
    Posted 02-21-2024 15:08

Could have a work plan with large blocks of any activity. Work there would be to ensure the work plan can produce a valid shift with all of the constraints and wouldn't allow on queue activity to be scheduled elsewhere. Possibly could have designated work plans for this purpose. E.g., an FMLA work plan that you move folks in/out of

Jay Langsford
    VP, R&D

• 5.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan

Posted 02-21-2024 15:18

When you add the time-off (LOA, FMLA, etc) via Time -Off request it will automatically load when you generate the schedule as long as you have the dates of the time-off request configured appropriately. Work plans are not designed to be edited with time-off requests though I think it is possible to add to the work plan by reducing the on-queue time to match but that's a lot of steps when it can just be handled through time-off. Is there a reason you prefer to have it on the work plan instead of using time-off?

Shannon Hellner
    Paycor, Inc.

• 6.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan

Posted 02-21-2024 17:56

Hi Shannon,

Typically if someone is on an LOA or an intermittent (ongoing) FMLA it is for a significant amount of time. I view workplans as a planning process and if I know for sure someone will not be returning to work for a couple of months I would prefer to add it to the workplan. I view time-off requests as a more immediate need i.e. someone is requesting next Wednesday off. I don't necessarily have a preference as far as which way I do it I was more curious as to why can't I. I am still curious about how I can add unpaid time to a workplan without the system extending On queue time and if I were to enable planning periods at the management unit level would I then be able to add unpaid time to the workplan? If the answer is that I can't add unpaid time to a workplan I am fine with that but I haven't seen an answer either way thus far. I am currently using the time-off request function and have no issues with it but my inquiring mind would still like to know about workplans.

Melissa Palmer

• 7.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan

Posted 02-21-2024 18:45

I tested your theory by checking the Planning Periods box in the MU (we don't use this either), and it wouldn't let me save a work plan with zero paid hours. I was able to get it to show zero paid (with a time-off code) not by updating the Planning Period, but by editing the Daily Paid Time on the work plan itself.  

I have a dummy MU set up to test stuff like this out, you might want to look into doing that. If someone else has another idea, please chime in!

Shannon Hellner
    Paycor, Inc.

• 8.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan

Posted 02-22-2024 09:51

This is great info. Thank you so much!

Melissa Palmer

• 9.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan
    Best Answer

GENESYS
    Posted 02-22-2024 10:30

I was able to create a valid work plan below. Weekly paid time set to be any (weekly paid time constraint unchecked) or flexible with 0 to total of all daily paid hours (for my example 0-40h). Daily paid time set to a range from 0 to the total of the activity or activities (for my example 0-8h). Then just one big activity block that wholly consumes the shift. The number of shift variations is exactly one so there won't be variants 

Jay Langsford
    VP, R&D

• 10.  RE: Unpaid time in a Workplan

Posted 02-22-2024 11:45

Good stuff! Thank you, Jay!

Melissa Palmer

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources