Genesys Cloud - Beta HQ

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Upcoming Beta! Genesys Cloud Functions

GENESYS
    Posted 03-21-2024 10:32
    Edited by Richard Schott 03-21-2024 11:07

We are extremely pleased to announce the upcoming beta for Genesys Cloud Functions!

Functions are an exciting new feature set within Genesys Cloud, giving customers the opportunity to execute their own code within the context of a Data Action.  There have been a number of requests for improvements to the Data Action feature set to improve compatibility with API resources that have specific requirements that make accessing them with data actions difficult/impossible.  

Just to set some context, Functions generally do not provide anything that you can't already do with our AWS Lambda Data Action integration; there may be a range of use case that it makes more sense to continue to leverage this Lambda integration for.  What Functions do provide is the ability to execute your own Node.JS code natively within the Genesys Cloud platform, eliminating the need for managing multiple accounts.

Some of the use cases we anticipate Functions being an excellent solution for include:

• Interfacing with API resources that have specific encoding/encryption requirements
      • PBKDF2
      • HMAC
      • JWT
    • Scatter/Gather operations that require interacting with multiple API resources in parallel and aggregating the results into a single response
    • Data Format manipulation/translation
      • SOAP/XML to JSON conversion for legacy API resources
    • Dynamic API response manipulation
      • "if I provide X as the input, then I would like to return Y from the response; but if I supply A as the input, then I would like to return B"

It is important to understand that functions have some limitations:

• Currently only supports the latest Node.JS runtime
    • Initially beta will be API only; UI to come later in the beta
    • Existing limits for Data Action usage (concurrency/volume) will be applicable to Functions as well
      • Functions may have additional limits applied to them based on findings within the Beta; if that comes to be, all beta participants will be notified in advance
    • Functions only have access to the public internet
      • Storage tiers within AWS are specifically disallowed, so retaining context from one Function execution to the next is not possible

The beta for Functions is expected to begin the week of April 15th, 2024, but in advance we are recruiting customers to participate in this beta that meet the following criteria:

• Comfortable with the use of the Genesys Cloud Public API
      • functions beta will initially be API only; UI to come later in the beta timeline
    • Comfortable with the use/configuration of Data Actions
      • Functions run exclusively in the context of a Data Action, so comfort with Data Actions is a must
    • Be able to articulate the use case/problem they are trying to solve with Functions
      • Functions are an incredibly flexible/powerful tool, but they may not be right for every use case, so we'd like to understand your goals before we turn you loose

If you are comfortable with the limitations outlined above and believe you meet the requirements for participation in this beta, we encourage you to register to participate here.  Once you're selected to participate, at the opening of the beta you will be contacted via email with instructions on how to configure Functions within your Genesys Cloud org(s), as well as provided with an example functions that you will be able to test immediately; we expect that outreach to occur the week of April 15th, 2024.

We look forward to hearing from you and seeing all the interesting things you're able to do with this exciting new feature.  

#BetaAnnouncement

------------------------------
    Richard Schott
    Genesys - Employees

• 2.  RE: Upcoming Beta! Genesys Cloud Functions

Posted 03-21-2024 11:19

I say that this will be in the top 10 released resources of the year. I hope it's released in 2024.

Att,

Breno Canyggia Ferreira Marreco
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/brenocfm-40b62182/

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources