Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Web Message bot can't to respond with article from initial message?

Posted 07-12-2024 00:51

When our customers initiate a Web Message with us, they usually start by not saying 'Hi', they start with their question 'I want to know where this is'. 

However in our Digital Bot Flow, it appears that I need the customer to initiate the message, then the bot responds, and then the knowledge articles can be used to assist the customer. 

This causes frustration where 90% of our customers will ask us their question, then the bot will respond by asking what their question is as their is no way for the bot to search articles from their initial message. 

What I want to happen is the customer asks the question which is their first message to us, the bot searches for matching knowledge articles and then responds with that article if found, and a different response if article not found. 

Am I missing something here? 

#ConversationalAI(Bots,AgentAssist,etc.)

------------------------------
    Glen Tylee
    Fonterra

• 2.  RE: Web Message bot can't to respond with article from initial message?
    Best Answer

Posted 07-12-2024 03:51

I'd recommend in your flow to greet the customer and provide them some guidance on how to respond, so when they respond to the chat, the bot flow is called, and surfaces your article or a desired output if nothing is found.  This way you're leading the conversation with the customer so they ask their question.  

I'd also suggest checking your Call Digital bot flow for the Bot Input Text.  By default its Message.message.body and anything entered in the chat then triggers the first ask slot.  If they say hello, it'll be triggering this first slot and you might not be getting your desired output.  I've found more success setting it as no value and then in the digital bot flow, opening with a communication, or an Ask slot to start.  

Web messaging flows are fun to build, but they can be a challenge when you don't get the output you expect.

Robert Niblock
    APM

• 3.  RE: Web Message bot can't to respond with article from initial message?

Posted 29 days ago

Hi Glen,

On your Inbound Message flow (not the bot flow) the action that calls the Digital Bot Flow should have a setting under the Inputs and Outputs called "Bot Input Text". This "supplies an initial utterance to the bot that will be processed by the first Ask action executed in the bot flow." By default this is set to "Message.Message.body" which is essentially sending whatever the customer sends as their initial message, I'm guessing this might have been changed to something else in your set up?

James Foster
    Connect Managed Services (UK) Limited

• 4.  RE: Web Message bot can't to respond with article from initial message?

Posted 28 days ago

Hi, 
    Yes mine looks just like yours does above. 

I've decided that the best outcome is to have 'auto start conversations' set to on anyway which will trigger a welcome message, and just to be upfront about being a Bot to the customer. 

May make things more complicated if I don't. 

My initial thought was to have the bot interact with the customer only to retrieve a result for the customer if possible, and if not, escalate to an agent. 
    But that may have unintended consequences or frustration. 

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it. 

Glen Tylee
    Fonterra

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources