Genesys Engage on-premises

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Web Services Authentication Alternatives

Posted 10-13-2022 12:42
    Edited by Renan Mozone 10-20-2022 20:38
    #gws #GenesysWebServicesandApplications

Hello!

I need guidance on how to authenticate to the "Web Services and Applications" Server from my Java backend, to use the REST and CometD APIs.

My objective is to implement a custom mobile chat app, to be used by operators (not customers).

I cannot plug my mobile app directly on the REST/CometD APIs because of the following issues:

SAML authentication won't work on mobile.

I cannot use basic authentication for security reasons.
    I should not capture the user and password for later use, to perform basic authentication.

Our company have strict guidelines, requiring that all frontend apps (web or mobile) use internal authentication and encryption standards and communicate to backends only through our custom API Gateway.

What I was hoping for is to be able to perform a "system authentication", but the "Web Services and Applications" Server requires "logged user authentication".

I need guidance on alternative authentication methods that would allow my Java backend to authenticate to the "Web Services and Applications" Server.

As an alternative, can we disable security completely? I can provide security by isolating the "Web Services and Applications" Server cluster, creating internal firewall rules that would only allow requests from my backend and nowhere else.

If you need more information about this project, feel free to contact me.

Here's a high-level architecture drawing of the solution, to help illustrate my need.

#ArchitectureandDesign

------------------------------
    Renan Mozone
    Banco Santander Brasil S/A
    ​​​

• 2.  RE: Web Services Authentication Alternatives

GENESYS
    Posted 12-08-2022 12:13
    Can you confirm what version of GWS you are using? 8.5 or 9.0? 

GWS 9.0 is not approved for Prem usage. Please explore this possibility as it would make is easier for you.

If you are using the new GWS 8.5 feature that was released, I will update you with a solution from the GWS development team. 

Best,
    Saul Lopez

Saul Lopez
    Genesys - Employees

• 3.  RE: Web Services Authentication Alternatives

GENESYS
    Posted 12-09-2022 13:01
    Renan,

In my opinion GWS was not built for the purpose you are trying to use it for and you are most likely going to run into roadblock after roadblock if you continue down that path.  You might instead investigate using the Platform SDK for Java.  With the Platform SDK you can utilize the same APIs that GWS is using under the covers and will likely be able to most easily develop the application in the architecture that you are trying to use.

Jim Crespino
    Senior Director, Developer Evangelism
    Genesys
    https://developer.genesys.com

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources