Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Webrtc and physical local edge media path

Posted 01-05-2024 13:25

In BYOC with physical local edge scenario, if user use webrtc phone, does voice traffic go from edge to Genesys cloud to user computer or is it from edge directly to user computer? Does switch to hard ip phone change the voice traffic behavior?  

#SIP/VolP
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Lei Zhao
    Alberta Health Services

• 2.  RE: Webrtc and physical local edge media path

Posted 01-05-2024 23:06

For WebRTC yes, in most cases the media would be between the Edge and the user's machine. TURN usage would by it's definition relay things but still essentially between the Edge and user.  In that case I guess you could say it's "from Edge to Genesys Cloud to user computer".  Call recordings would be stored on the Edge until the call has ended then get uploaded.   This is also one of the main reasons why some things like near-real time transcription etc aren't available on BYOC Premise (physical Edge) deployments.

A switch to hard phone where the phone registers to the Edge would I imagine still be a direct path.

Depending on what you're trying to achieve here you may also want to look into whether the hybrid model suits you better.

Vaun McCarthy

• 3.  RE: Webrtc and physical local edge media path

Posted 2 days ago

Hi Vaun,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that it depends on at what Site the webrtc client register on...

If a webrtc are registered to Site of cloud (aws) , the communication should be from edge premise to edge cloud, but if the webrtc are registered to Premise Edge, the connection should occur directly...is that correct?

David Fradejas Tomás
    Sabio Ibérica, S.A.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources