Genesys Casual

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  World Cup 2022

GENESYS
    Posted 12-07-2022 10:30
    Edited by Jan Nico Feliciano 12-07-2022 11:05
    Hello Everyone!

Any football (soccer) fans around? The World Cup 2022 just ended its last-16 round of matches and is now down to the final 8 teams. The quarter-finals is usually where the matches become more exciting in this tournament. These teams that are left are essentially the ones that gelled early and have played well together, so you can expect more grit and action as the hunger for World Cup glory fuels these teams' determination to win.

Super-team Brazil with their star-studded line-up faces steady and sturdy Croatia in the first match of these quarter-finals. The Croats were the runners-up in the previous (2018) World Cup so they are not a team to be counted off so easily. However, the immense talent and youth of the Brazilian starting 11 may prove too much to handle. The winners here will take on the winners of the following match between a rejuvenated Netherlands (Holland) team and destiny-driven Argentina. La Oranje (the Netherlands national team's color is a surprising orange) is looking to restore football glory and make up for almost a decade of disappointments now that the rebuilding of their team is complete. They face an Argentinian side determined to answer the call of destiny and cement talisman and football legend Messi's name further in the halls of glory. This is their final chance with an ageing Lionel Messi declaring he is to retire from international football after the tournament.

This tournament's "dark horse" Morocco face fan-favorite Portugal. Like Messi, his contemporary and fellow football legend Cristiano Ronaldo is in the same situation with a talented Portuguese side ready to take it all the way. They may get a surprise however from a Moroccan team that is playing splendidly and has spoiled the World Cup journey of a couple of big teams. The winning side will face the winners of the other match between defending World Cup champions France and an England team with a lot to prove. With the disaster of Euro 2020 still haunting them, the Three Lions (English national football team badge) know that there is no better way to relinquish a bad memory than to replace it with an extremely good one. However, the challenge that lies ahead of them will be a juggernaut and perhaps one more chapter to add to the two nations' storied rivalry.

Who do you think will win it?
    Which matches are you excited for or are interested in watching?

I am coming into this quite neutral because all the nations I support did not go through. I fancy Brazil winning, however I think Argentina vs. Portugal in the final would be bonkers and one for the books.

#CoffeeTalk
    #Events

------------------------------
    Nico Feliciano
    Genesys - Employees

• 2.  RE: World Cup 2022

GENESYS
    Posted 12-12-2022 12:08
    Those were a couple of the maddest games I've seen in a while. To recap all the drama:

• Croatia defeats Brazil on penalties. If I were a betting man I would've seen my $$ goodbye..
    • Argentina wins over Netherlands on penalties as well. This was a match for the ages! And quite controversial - as it appears the mantra is "Messi must win! Whatever it takes!"
    • Morocco advances with a win over Portugal. Surprise! That dream face-off of mine is no longer on the table.
    • France marches on defeating England. Full of drama, this one. And I would not have expected less.

And now the semi-finals dawn upon us. Sure and steady Croatia battles a fiery Argentina side who have unabashedly displayed their intent and at the same time their true colors. On the flipside, the defending champions France are on a course for a successful title defense, but giant-killers Morocco have shown that they are not the kind of team that just stands by and watches.

I am particularly excited with the outcomes of these matches. A World Cup 2018 rematch can happen if France and Croatia advance. It could be the battle of the underdogs if Morocco wins instead of France. And of course having Messi and Argentina in the final gets them one step closer to that swansong ending.

Who do you think will reach the final?

Nico Feliciano
    Genesys - Employees

• 3.  RE: World Cup 2022

GENESYS
    Posted 12-15-2022 07:59
    Edited by Jan Nico Feliciano 12-15-2022 08:29
    And we are down to the final two!

Argentina dominated a lackluster Croatian side spearheaded by a Messi football masterclass as he scored a penalty and assisted in their other two goals. Croatia lacked creativity in the final third of the pitch and their usual sure and steady frame was rocked by a boisterous Argentinian attacking front. Meanwhile, France bested Morocco starting with an early goal within the first 5 minutes of the match from which they never looked back. The Moroccans did put up a fight and the French did a marvelous job keeping them at bay with a rock-solid back line and having them backtrack by pouncing on the counter with French talisman Mbappe's blistering pace.

Game set! Will the historic moment that Argentina has been waiting for finally come to fruition? Or will it be France who will make that historic moment with a successful World Cup title defense? It surely is a most exciting time for football on this day and age.

Who do you think will win?

I fancy a tie for maximum drama. 1-1 in regular time, becoming 2-2 in extra time, ending with penalties favoring France.

Nico Feliciano
    Genesys - Employees

• 4.  RE: World Cup 2022

GENESYS
    Posted 12-15-2022 10:50
    I think we see back to back winners with France.

Nathan Wollack
    Genesys - Employees

• 5.  RE: World Cup 2022

GENESYS
    Posted 12-20-2022 06:34
    Edited by Jan Nico Feliciano 12-20-2022 06:43
    Hey Community! if you are reading this, then thank you for taking the time going through the thread to hear me blabber about football. I hope you were able to watch the matches too, especially the final. It was bonkers!

Here's to update everyone that Argentina won over France in the World Cup final over penalties. Fate followed through and destiny prevailed over a nail-biter of a match that did not fail to deliver the drama. 

France surprisingly played poorly in the first half, getting stifled by the trademark Argentinian blitz in attack. It was so easy for Argentina to move the ball forward on the flanks causing the French to settle deep in defense. And when on the flipside, Argentina makes a good job suffocating the French midfield by double or triple marking key players and getting them dispossessed, effectively drying up their attack. This allowed Argentina to dominate and lead 2-0 at the end of the first half.

The start of the second half was no different, but it was noticeable that the French were picking up their game. Mix in the fatigue and the trademark complacency of the Argentines in this tournament, France delivered some punishment with a quick brace on the 80th minute executed by no other than French talisman Kylian Mbappe. Argentina was scrambling at this point and they did enough to ensure full time ended in a draw.

Extra time trudged along with everybody at the edge of their seats. Argentina had a breakthrough on the 18th minute, Messi collecting a rebound off of the French goalkeeper. 10 minutes later an Argentinian defender fails to tuck his arm blocking a French shot while in the penalty area which leads to a 2nd penalty kick for France that Mbappe calmly and coolly slots in. He's on a hat trick now and it looks like nothing can stop him. Too bad he can't take all of France's turns in the penalty shootout.

In the closing minutes of extra time, the French had one last breakthrough and winning moment which was crucially blocked by the Argentinian goalkeeper. With both teams at 3 goals each, the game was settled on penalties. Argentina had an edge with more experienced players, and the shootout result eventually brought them the win.

Argentina's win cements Lionel Messi as the most complete footballer in the modern era in terms of competitions won. The most elusive item he has been chasing for more than a decade is now in his cabinet. And while he has mentioned before that it will be his last World Cup, looks like the glitter and the glory is too difficult for him to not participate in. Let's see in four years if he will actually continue and defend their title.

Congratulations Messi and congratulations La Albiceleste!

Nico Feliciano
    Genesys - Employees

• 6.  RE: World Cup 2022

GENESYS
    Posted 12-21-2022 08:16
    I dated a soccer player in college and ended up watching way more soccer (futbal) than I ever anticipated, but the final game at this world cup was easily the most exciting game that I've ever seen. I did not watch much of the tournament outside of the final game, but really cool to see one of the four world Cups that ended in a shootout live.

Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources