Genesys Casual

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Foods People INTENTIONALLY Cook Wrong

GENESYS
    Posted 02-08-2022 09:22
    My wife sent me this list because I'm guilty of an embarrassing amount of these: 1 (but aren't we all?), 5, 8, 12, 13, 14, 16, 19, 21 (but for leftovers), 22, 23 (always), 24, 25.

I really don't understand numbers 3 or 4...especially 4. Are they eating taco meat on a bun? I'm scared.

Here's the full list:

When it comes to cooking, there are plenty of "correct" ways of doing things. But sometimes, the wrong way tastes so much better (I'm lookin' at you, raw cookie dough.) So Redditor u/ThymeandGarlic asked, "Is there a food you intentionally cook 'wrong?'" Here's what people said.

GUILTY 1."Cookies. I love under-baked cookies where the very outer edges are baked but the inside is still basically dough."

Ripping into a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie.
    Getty Images

2."I over-bake drop biscuits. I know I'm putting them in the oven for too long, but I like them extra crunchy...especially when served with gravy."

Biscuits from scratch covered with thick white sausage gravy.
    Getty Images

3."I love eating dry oats as a snack. I just put them in a cup and eat them with a spoon. I know this isn't how Quaker intended for them to be eaten, but they taste delicious."

A bowl of dry oats.
    Getty Images

4."One night I decided to make tacos, except halfway through cooking I realized we had no tortillas. So I decided to make Sloppy Joe's instead, but I had already added the taco seasoning. I liked it so much that now 'taco Joe's' are a regular meal in my house."

Cooked sloppy joe mix in a cast iron skillet.
    Getty Images

GUILTY 5."In any baking recipe that calls for vanilla, I never measure it. I just add whatever amount feels right, which is always more than what's called for."

Pouring vanilla extract into a bowl of batter.
    Getty Images

SOUNDS DELIGHTFUL 6."Pancakes. My grandpa is a terrible cook so when he makes pancakes they're always burnt on the outside and basically raw batter on the inside. He thinks they're fully cooked, but honestly, they taste so good that way. Now, my whole family just makes pancakes like that on purpose."

Four pancakes on a skillet.
    Getty Images

STOP THE MADNESS 7."My mom used to make her own version of fettuccini Alfredo with garlic butter, sour cream, and a lot of that shitty pre-grated Parmesan. It was one of my favorite meals as a kid, and I still make it to this day."

A close-up of fettucini alfredo.
    Getty Images

YES! 8."Risotto. Julia Child puts it in the oven and this method has never failed me. Every time I try to make it on the stove, stirring and stirring, it doesn't come out right. If oven risotto is good enough for Julia, it's good enough for me."

Close up of a spoonful of risotto with strings of cheese hanging from the spoon..
    Getty Images

Please Don't 9."I intentionally burn my grilled cheese sandwiches. My mom always burnt them when I was growing up, so its become a comforting flavor for me."

Still life of burnt toast with cheese on a wooden table.
    Getty Images

My Wife Just Uses Vinegar 10."I love my salad dressing with way too much vinegar in it. I would never serve it to dinner guests, but boy do I love that sour pucker."

Coating a salad with pink dressing.
    Getty Images

I'm in!11."I like my salmon with crispy skin and a char on the edges, but under-cooked so that the middle stays warm and pink and just opaque. Even if that's not what the recipe calls for, it's what I try to achieve."

Cooked salmon fish fillets.
    Getty Images

Yup. Yup. Yuuuup. 12."I drain the water out of my ramen and eat it like a pasta rather than like soup. My partner makes fun of me for love of dry ramen, but I cant eat it any other way. No broth for me, please."

A bowl of dry ramen.
    Getty Images

Always, just like Granny taught me.13."I serve pasta by putting the plain spaghetti noodles in a bowl and then ladling the sauce on top rather than mixing it all together in the pot. I think tossing pasta in sauce before serving it ruins the dish."

Spaghetti with bolognese sauce.
    Getty Images

No, I swear. 14."I swear that roasted vegetables taste better if you don't flip them halfway through. I like them best when only one side is really well done and caramelized."

Halved Brussels sprouts roasting.
    Getty Images

15."I like my pasta overdone. Not completely mushy, but definitely past the al dente stage. I always overcook my noodles."

Boiled water and spaghetti noodles in a pot.
    Getty Images

YES! 16."I think the majority of vegetables taste better when they're burnt. Onions and Brussels sprouts are especially delicious, but carrots get incredibly sweet when they're a little burnt on the grill. And burnt broccoli is so much better than properly roasted broccoli."

Freshly grilled carrots and asparagus sit on foil.
    Getty Images

I love space ice cream, so I'd try it.17."I absolutely love stale marshmallows. They're best at that crunchy, chewy stage before they turn rock hard. I purposely leave the bag open in the pantry to get that texture."

A cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows.
    Getty Images

This makes me think of the movie "Get Out". 18."Instead of eating cereal in a bowl with milk, I like to eat small handfuls of dry cereal, each washed down with a sip of milk. It's so refreshing."

A bowl of cereal and a glass of milk.
    Getty Images

I may just be bad at making rice, but yes. 19."I intentionally burn my rice on the bottom of the pot. I just love that crispy part."

A skillet of white rice.
    Getty Images

I feel you. 20."I know lots of people love scrambled eggs cooked low and slow, but growing up I never had creamy scrambled eggs so I always overcook them for myself to this day. I prefer the texture of dry scrambled eggs to wet ones."

Close up of cooked, dry scrambled eggs.
    Getty Images

Preach 21."I like my food cold, particularly pizza. I will put my pizza in the fridge or freezer to cool down immediately after baking it. I know how controversial this is, and I would never serve it this way to anyone else, but I love it."

Cold pizza slices.
    Getty Images

Take me to there! 22."Hot dogs. I don't care if I bought an expensive, fancy sausage blend. I char all my hotdogs black so the outside is super crispy."

A charred hot dog in a bun.
    Getty Images

This should be law for Chicken Noodle. 23."When I'm heating up Campbell's tomato soup, I never add water like you're supposed to. I just heat up what's in the can and eat it. For most of my life I didn't even realize the instructions say to add water, but when I tried it I didn't like the looser consistency."

A can of condensed tomato soup.
    Getty Images

24."I prefer my bacon soft and chewy to brown and crispy. I take it out of the skillet when caramelization just begins to occur on both sides."

Bacon in a frying pan.
    Getty Images

Yup. 25."I like toast that barely has any color to it - more like warm bread. My partner is the complete opposite side of the spectrum. His ideal toast is more like the consistency of charcoal."

Toast with fried egg.
    Getty Images

26."I really like overcooked instant ramen noodles. There's something about that beef broth paired with mushy noodles that tastes so good."

Instant ramen noole soup.
    Getty Images

#CoffeeTalk

------------------------------
    Matt Lawson
    Genesys - Employees
    Online Community Manager

• 2.  RE: Foods People INTENTIONALLY Cook Wrong

GENESYS
    Posted 02-17-2022 14:31
    Mmmm mushy overcooked noodles, yes! 

Also being Irish I of course believe that bacon is SUPPOSED to be soft and chewy not crispy, all our bacon is like that.

My addition is I like overcooking vegetables a little, I like them softer rather than crunchy.

Rebecca Owens
    PureCloud Self-Service Senior Product Manager
    Genesys - Employees

• 3.  RE: Foods People INTENTIONALLY Cook Wrong

GENESYS
    Posted 02-17-2022 14:58
    In my house, we frequently add a whole head of garlic to meal preparations that only called for 2-3 cloves.  It's delicious and we have had 792 days without a vampire attack.

Alyssa Cox
    Genesys - Employees

• 4.  RE: Foods People INTENTIONALLY Cook Wrong

Posted 02-22-2022 02:40
    I cook everything wrong unintentionally, this is something I am really terrible at but I love eating when someone cooks, even if they have done it in a wrong way, I am always grateful to the cook!

Stanislav Ilev
    Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Services

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources