PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Softphone DHCP Query

Posted 02-04-2019 16:49
    Hello,

I have been navigating the forums and have been unable to find an answer to the DHCP Query error where the Softphone provisioning tool is launched, Querying DHCP server appears and then closes and the softphone does not connect. We are on 2018R2 and some of our machines don't get this error but we can't determine the difference. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex
    #SIP/VolP

------------------------------
    Alex Piper
    Rosemount Inc.

• 2.  RE: Softphone DHCP Query

Posted 02-04-2019 17:44
    Since you say it's working for some computers and not for others, the first thing I'd ask is if you have multiple DHCP servers?  If so, are they all configured with the appropriate scope options for registration?

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 3.  RE: Softphone DHCP Query

Posted 02-04-2019 17:50
    ​Thanks for the reply!

When I do cmd run I can find a single DHCP server listed, and I do not know how to verify if it is configured with the correct scope (or what the scope entails).

Alex Piper
    Rosemount Inc.

• 4.  RE: Softphone DHCP Query

Posted 02-04-2019 17:55
    The DHCP scope options are defined on the DHCP server.  If you're not familiar with that, you likely have a network admin or sys admin who is and could check that for you.

If both your PC's that work and your PC's that don't work have the same value listed for their DHCP server, then this isn't likely to be the cuplrit, though.

Page 29 of the following document from Genesys provides information on scope options:

https://help.genesys.com/cic/mergedprojects/wh_tr/desktop/pdfs/managed_ip_phones_ag.pdf

Aaron Lael
    State of Utah

• 5.  RE: Softphone DHCP Query

Posted 02-05-2019 11:07
    Hi Alex,

All of the advice given so far is excellent. Some additional thoughts / questions.

1. Is the problem consistent? i.e. Is it always the same machines that are affected and are they always affected? (Naturally, that also would mean that the unaffected machines are never affected.)
    2. Check the network numbers for the machines. It may well be that there is some commonality between those that work / don't work. If you are unsure (given your comment about not being sure about DHCP Scopes etc.) then bring your network techs in and ask them. At a push, use ipconfig (assuming windows) on a range of machines and note down the IP addresses and the subnet mask for each. Group the working vs non-working and post a few here. We can do the calculations for you :-) If the "working" vs "non-working" machines do relate to the networks, the problem may be down to differences in DHCP configuration, or it could be some form of firewalling between the networks.
    3. Consider downloading a DHCP test utility (Google is your friend). Run it on some working and some not working,  look at the content of "Option 160".
    4. If they all have the same "Option 160", and that is textual (i.e. not an IP address) check that the machines are all using the same DNS server. Use a DNS checking tool (NSLookup, or similar) to verify what the name is resolving to.
    5. Do you use Switchover? If so, and you are able to perform a switch (out of hours, obviously!) and see if the symptoms change.

I hope this rambling is of some use!

• 6.  RE: Softphone DHCP Query

Posted 02-06-2019 10:21
    This is going to sound really silly but check the desktop scale and layout settings. There is a bug in the SIP soft phone where if the size of text, apps, and other items is set to anything other than 100% the SIP soft phone will fail to provision. We have been running into this with new Windows 10 installations as Windows is trying to be "helpful" and adjusting the scale up to 125% for some laptop monitors. There is an SCR out there for this behavior but I don't have the number off hand.

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources