Genesys Multicloud

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-10-2021 14:44
    Edited by Bryan Benway 03-10-2021 14:46
    I am reviewing the documents to allow a third party to push work to IWD for distribution and trying to find one key item that I am not locating anywhere.

Is there any way via the API to set a work item to completed or are we limited to the agent having to mark it manually when they are done?

I am only seeing PUT methods to change properties and trying to confirm if this can be used to set the task to competed to remove a step from the agents having to do so manually.

Intelligent Workload Distribution API - PureEngage Developer Center | Genesys (genesyscloud.com)
    #Integrations

------------------------------
    Bryan

• 2.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

GENESYS
    Posted 03-11-2021 10:49
    Bryan,

Look under the Actions submenu and there is a Cancel operation.  They probably should have called that endpoint Completed, because this is what the documentation says:

"The API cancels workitems by setting the state to Completed."

https://developer.genesyscloud.com/reference/iwd/Actions/index.html

Jim Crespino
    Senior Director, Developer Evangelism
    Genesys
    https://developer.genesys.com

• 3.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-11-2021 11:38
    Edited by Bryan Benway 03-11-2021 12:02
    Ok that is perfect, thank you. The concern was if we "cancel" an item, does that affect reporting versus an agent marking it as completed themselves but this endpoint seems to be good then we can plan with it.

The wording of "cancel" had some caution about the use and wanted to make sure if the agent was assigned the work by IWD, we then send a cancel, they are still reported as using the task and closed by them for reporting.

Bryan Benway
    Waterfield Technologies, Inc.

• 4.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-11-2021 13:59
    Hey Bryan - 

Jim's rely below is spot on.

However, keep in mind that there is a few "gotchas" here.

1) the only place you will see this differentiated is iwd manager:

"Completed" by itself is when using the cancel API end point.  "Completed with the agent icon" is when it was completed by an agent in agent desktop. 
    *note there are three different versions of viewing the state, the simple version all workitems regardless of how they were completed show "Completed" only.

2) There is not a differentiation in the reporting.  We are using this endpoint to close workitems that were addressed through self-service.

3) you mention using this endpoint, versus an agent going and closing it.  That is only possible if it was routed to an agent.  An agent can't search for a workitem and close it without being routed.

Background - We went live using iWD on 2/24 -  I'm using the three basic actions - create - update - cancel.  replicating CRUD operations as needed to match our source system.  I'm happy to walk you through our setup from end to end as a customer point of view if you are interested.  Just send me a message.

Austin Brigham
    WHIRLPOOL CORPORATION

• 5.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-11-2021 14:23
    That is extremely helpful. Thank you for that clarification. I am scoping something very similar so that UI change is interesting but not an issue.

For #3 we are using IWD to hand the task to the agent so it is being assigned to them. The info in the task they need to go to a third party system currently to do some work so once that system sees the entry complete, we want to then CANCEL the task but make sure that it will still shown as the agent worked it as it is assigned to them by IWD. ​​

Bryan Benway

• 6.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-12-2021 00:37
    Hey Bryan - 

You are most welcome - 

I would caution here, based on how you describe the business process that is not how I would describe how iwd works.  

The task lives in Genesys.  Once it routes to an agent, the agent goes to the source system and completes the work needed, the agent then should come back to Genesys agent desktop and has to mark the task done at that point. (this process captures the agent handle time)  At that point, there is no further action needed.  An agent can NOT receive a work item and then not work it.  The two options that I am aware of are "mark done" or put in a workbin (highly discouraged for a couple of reasons - top 2 that I can think of 1) continues to take up space in the routing services, which limits how many other tasks you can route 2) has no mechanism to be brought out other than manually again by the agent by being not available) At this point, we actually have workbins disabled to avoid both reasons mentioned.

Our use case sounds somewhat similar, so I can imagine what you are thinking that you would want the task to live on in the event an agent receives a work item that they can't actually work on in your source system for whatever reason(too soon, customer not available, etc).  In my opinion, there are two ways to do this - 1) you could easily add a button in your source system to restart the work item using the restart endpoint - ( a few assumptions behind that use though - one major one being that your source system that the agent is working in, is also the same system that is keeping track of the API calls to generate the workitems and is storing the necessary identifiers to later call the API.)  2) The other is that the genesys iwd task and the task in your source system is not a 1:1 relationship.  It is actually a many Genesys iwd task to 1 source system transaction.  The second way listed is how I am handling this in our scenario.  Where for whatever reason, we have to make another attempt at a later time (ie: Customer not available when agent works the workitem).  We are actually tracking this attempt counter for each transaction in two places - unfortunately, for us, our source system does not have the capability to reach external API endpoints, so we have to use a middleware solution - So we had to build logic to say okay - source system has 0 attempts made to work this item, create iwd task attempt 1, let that route through iwd to an agent, then the agent takes action in the source system ( either actually does the necessary transaction or notates that they did the attempt), the agent then marks the iwd task done and becomes available again.  The logic then works in a loop to say if the source system transaction is still open, and has the 1st attempt done, then create the iwd task attempt #2, (with an estimated future planned start date/time that the next attempt will be successful or the business process requires) and continues this loop of +1 attempt, until the source system transaction has been completed.

Here is the reason I mention these two ways - 1) restarting the work item, while I haven't validated, I would be led to believe that you will lose the original agents reporting as the reporting is on the "last resource". 
    2) using method 2, you are more accurately stating the true volume of the work, in the case of 100 source system activities, you could be required to actually make 200 iwd tasks, because of 50% contact success when working the task.
    3) when using restart, you are essentially "resetting" the worktime, which means it immediately goes back in line, and will be routed immediately again - most likely too soon. 

There are a few other things that come to my mind when walking through this solution that should be considered if you haven't already:
    1. Does the task require you to contact an end customer? If the answer is Yes, you need to ensure you have data point from your source system into the iwd task creation to track this - 1) routing rules need to be added around this to prevent routing a task too early or too late to be worked and B) endpoint segmentation by this data point needs to be done to ensure that if you are getting a constant flow of work from all time zones.

Hope this helps,
    -Austin

Austin Brigham
    WHIRLPOOL CORPORATION

• 7.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-12-2021 13:01
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Luckily, these are back office processes and no customer contacts or anything that would need to hold. 

I simplified the flow below to make sure we are looking at the same thing:

1) Event comes in to 3rd party system
    2) Third party system uses API in Genesys IWD to create work item to distribute to agent
    3) Agent gets assigned work item and has unique URL to visit to open a website
    4) Agent answers a few questions on third party website and closes the event
    5) Third party system sends CANCEL back to IWD to let it know the work item is COMPLETE
    6) Task is completed from agent and agent can be assigned new work item

The big question is using this method of CANCEL, do we lose anything in the reporting with the assignment of this task? Meaning, if the work item is assigned to Jane Doe and the third party sends the cancel event, does IWD still see that task being closed by Jane in reports or does that task become unassigned and completed by something else?

I just wanted to clarify that since your example with the icons is helpful but wanted to make sure the task still is owned by someone in Genesys and we can report on it just as we would if the agent manually closed it in the agent desktop to get the next work item.

Thanks!

Bryan Benway

• 8.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-15-2021 13:30
    Hey Bryan - 

Ah - this helps.

You actually do not need to do step 5 here at all. 

The agent needs to come back to agent desktop and mark the task as completed.  This is how agent handle time is calculated. (Time completed - Time received) 

The act of the agent marking it done will (optionally) make the agent ready to accept another task.

Austin Brigham
    WHIRLPOOL CORPORATION

• 9.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-15-2021 14:13
    Thank you Austin -

That is what we wanted to streamline so once the task is done in the third-party system, we didn't have to rely on the agent having to mark it complete in IWD to prevent extra steps and also an agent forgetting that step and being left assigned work that is completed in the outside system but IWD doesn't see it complete yet.

That is the big unknown we are trying to see how IWD would handle it and we can close it but still benefit from the IWD distribution and reporting of the tasks or if we allow another system to take over that responsibility of the task closing, do we then lose the reporting being assigned to the agent.

Bryan Benway

• 10.  RE: IWD Task API - Lifecycle

Posted 03-15-2021 14:35

Oh- yeah, you can't quite do that.

You will most certainly lose the agent reporting of which agent is completing it as well. 

I do not ever see that working that way, where you can route it and receive it in agent desktop, and then complete it via the iwd API AND record it as the agent, as it would require the genesys authentication and agent replication to be happening through the agent workspace API. 
    I do think that you may be able to accomplish this more through the workspace API - https://developer.genesyscloud.com/reference/workspace/Media/index.html#complete
    (going this path would probably require a way more intensive integration on the source system - beyond just the task) 

When the iwd API is used, it becomes the last operator in relation to the task, when completing the task.

Austin Brigham
    WHIRLPOOL CORPORATION

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources