Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-12-2021 00:38
    We are fairly new to Genesys Cloud.  I am having reports from our users being presented with calls while they are already on one.
    All our calls come in through the ACD (we don't have any non-ACD calls coming through to agents) although we do do call backs, so some of the agents might be on a call back when an ACD call presents itself, or they might be on an inbound call of the ACD when a call back request presents to them.
    It's intermittent and hard to pin down though, I haven't found a pattern and as our users are all new with this system they're a little unconfident and not exactly clear when they try to describe what's happened.

I've seen other threads about non ACD calls presenting when Agents are on an ACD call but I don't think that's the case (unless call backs are considered Non ACD calls?)

Can anyone advise what might cause this and how to stop it?

#Telephony

------------------------------
    Anne Williams
    Lifeline

• 2.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-12-2021 02:53
    Edited by Vaun McCarthy 05-12-2021 04:15
    Hi Anne

Take a look to see whether you have agents trying to consult or transfer directly to agents rather than via a queue.  

When you say agents may be on callbacks, are they system generated callbacks or manual outbound calls based on some other notification/request (email etc)?

Also worth double checking that nobody has changed your utilization settings under Admin\Contact Centre\Utilization.  Should by default only allow one call.  But there's also the option there for callback utilization.  By default again you should allow 1 voice call OR 1 callback.  There's also the checkbox there to not allow ACD calls to come through while on a non-ACD call.  Mark that enabled, and also make sure wherever possible that your agents are making outbound calls on behalf of a queue.

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

• 3.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-12-2021 17:42
      |   view attached
    Thanks Vaun

Very helpful.  I can confirm that the incoming calls to occupied agents are not originating via direct transfers.  Consults is interesting as it is a possibility although wouldn't be intentional - we use chat to communicate during calls but I guess being inexperienced it is possible that someone is inadvertently trying to contact via "consult" while a call is happening.  I'll look into this further.  .  

The call backs are system generated from callers leaving callback requests.

The utilization settings are interesting.  I've attached a picture.  Voice is set to 1 and we have the "block calls when on a non ACD call" ticked.
    Callback is also set to 1.  But how do I know if that means 1 voice call OR 1 callback, as for chat and email we would want that to be 1 voice AND 3 emails?  
    Voice has nothing in the "can be interrupted by" field (is that how you make an "AND"?)

Really appreciate the time you took to offer advice, if you were able to have a quick look at the picture of our utilization settings and give me your view as to whether they might be contributing to callbacks arriving while an agent is already on a call that would be fabulous.

Anne Williams
    Lifeline

• 4.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-12-2021 18:32
    It may be worth checking the timeline for one of these interactions that's interrupting to see how it actually came in.  But your utilisation settings in that screenshot are fairly standard.

Regarding the OR/AND thing, for the most part it's that "can be interrupted" setting which adds the "AND".  So for example if you add "voice" into the Email Can be interrupted by field, it means an agent can be on an email but a voice call can still come in.  So they'd end up being able to handle an email AND a voice call.

There is also this piece from one of the resource centre articles:

Why do my agents continue to receive incoming calls even though they are on a scheduled callback?

Because calls and callbacks are both considered to be call interactions, we recommend that you do not configure utilization to allow these media types to interrupt each other. This configuration can cause longer than anticipated wait times for customers who choose a callback. By default, the system is set to not allow calls and callbacks to override each other.

When a caller schedules a callback within the call route, the callback holds the caller's place in queue. If new calls can move ahead of callbacks, the system will not hold the callback customer's position in queue. This situation can cause less than desirable behavior; for example, if the caller's estimated wait time is 30 minutes and they take the callback option, but do not receive a return call for longer than 30 minutes.

You don't have any interrupt settings selected there so this shouldn't apply to you or be the cause of your problem.

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

• 5.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-13-2021 19:14
    Vaun is on the mark as usual.  This was a constant complaint in a former org.  I finally got tired of proving what I already knew what happening - agents were trying to dump callers over to other CSRs by cold transfer and sometimes consult directly to agents instead of the queue. The org was very large and had many groups so agents would know "Sally Smith" was in whatever group they needed to send the caller to, so they would go direct to her and no IM via Skype/Teams. Through training the affected groups how to catch the offenders, along with call audits, we were able to track down the main offenders.  The business took a hard line against it, so it eventually died down to so few they were not being reported.

• 6.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-19-2021 10:06
    In Engage agent setup, we took the transfer button away for this very reason. We also restricted to warm transfer only.
    Agents are taught to use consult and would see the agent is already busy on a call.

Is the ability to restrict to warm transfer available in GC?

Monique
    System Administrator
    Messer LLC

• 7.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-19-2021 19:50
    Hi Monique
    Just looking through the permissions in our instance of GC. 
    I have found one permission related to transfers:
    - Conversation > Communication > Transfer - Transfer other users' conversations
    I'm not sure if the permission can be configured with conditions to have it apply to warm transfers only, but another member of the community may be able to advise.

Anne Williams
    Lifeline

• 8.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-20-2021 02:27
    kindly check the utilization on agent level also , 

and also please refer interaction timeline get more idea  , was is it a queue call , or consult transfer etc.

Noufal Ibrahim
    SMASCO

• 9.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-19-2021 19:55
    Just an update on our Agent reports of "ringing while on a call"- we have discovered that a number are simply that the agent picks up a call from the queue, and the call ringing sound persists in their headphones, even though the call has been picked up.  i.e. it turns out not to be a new call, but a persistence of the ringing of the call they have already answered.  We are using WebRTC phones.  To make the ringing stop, the Agent clicks on and off the Hold button quickly.

I still have some instances of a new call presenting while the Agent is already talkin on another and are trying to get some logging in place to see what's really happening here - thanks for your all your suggestions.

Anne Williams
    Lifeline

• 10.  RE: Ringing while on a call

Posted 05-20-2021 04:02
    Hi Anne

Just a question.  What type of headset are your team using and have you installed any headset software (Jabra, Plantronics etc)?

Vaun McCarthy
    NTT New Zealand Limited

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources