Genesys Cloud CX

View Only
Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

GC Desktop App / System Freezing

• 1.  GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 04-27-2022 08:52
    Hello!

We're starting to receive complaints about Windows systems freezing if an agent has an active email interaction and a voice call is delivered.  Unsure if this is a recent Microsoft patch or something GC related at this point.  The only common denominator is that these are new agents hired on board.  Very possible it's a Windows issue, but curious to know if others are or have experienced the same.  We're slowly deploying the updated GC desktop app, but we're seeing this issue on last release as well as new release.

On the new version of GC Desktop App, we see CPU utilization at 27-30% and 1GB of memory utilization when an agent has a voice and email interaction at the same time.  If we drop the voice call, CPU drops down to <10% and memory hovers around 730mb.  Still working to determine if it's a system instability problem or application related.  Most systems are 3 yrs old, 8GB of memory and Core i5 - i7 CPU's.

Only Email:

Email and Voice:

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!
    #Unsure/Other

------------------------------
    Steve Parsons
    BCD TRAVEL S.A.

• 2.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 04-28-2022 03:25
    Edited by Jeff Hoogkamer 04-28-2022 03:27

Hi Steve,

We've noticed since going live with Genesys Cloud that the desktop application will occasionally freeze, refresh or just simply close without warning.

In these scenarios, an error will appear in the Windows Event Viewer as either an 'Application Error' (when it just refreshes/freezes), or a '.NET Runtime' error (when it also closes)

According to the Microsoft .NET documentation, there are two common unmanaged SHE exceptions, either Out of Memory, or Access Violation

As the Genesys Cloud desktop application is only a 32-bit process - standard 32-bit applications (that aren't Large Address Aware) have a maximum memory limit of 2GB, and within a .NET application this limit is known to be around 1.2GB and 1.3GB (http://graphicdna.blogspot.com/2012/10/memory-limits-in-net-process.html)

So  keeping Task Manager running beside my Genesys Cloud instance whilst I was performing maintenance work in the Phone Management section - I noticed that one of the GenesysCloud.exe processes was continuously increasing in Memory utilisation.

As soon as it reached over 1200 MB of Memory utilisation, the application started freezing and showing the loading symbol, before completely refreshing and reloading the entire desktop application

We have been seeing this behaviour since desktop version 2.6.622 and every version up to the latest. This is on Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 and 20H1, across many different PC's (namely 6th gen i5 and 8GB RAM).

We are also seeing memory utilisation issues in the Web-app version on Google Chrome. Even this 64-bit process with 16GB local memory eventually gets to a point where it just goes 'Aw, Snap' with an Out of Memory error.

Task Manager shows Google Chrome (which was only running Genesys Cloud at the time) was up to 5.1GB memory total utilisation at this point.

At this point, I believe there is something happening around memory management or a conflict with the Chrome or the Chromium framework (that the Desktop version uses) that's just chewing through memory, slowing down the interface until it reaches an unhandled exception event.

Would be interested if those using the Mac version of the Desktop Application or Web Application are seeing similar behaviour.

Jeff

• 3.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 04-28-2022 11:06
    Thanks Jeff.  Very informative.  We are not seeing application errors and no 1026 events.  Nor do we see memory issues on the systems.  And I spoke in error about current config.  The machines are all brand new and have 16gb of memory.  We're still chasing ghosts on this one today and the fact remains that this only happens when an agent is working an email interaction and then a voice interaction is delievered.  Gathering more data and will report back.

Thank you!

Steve Parsons
    BCD TRAVEL S.A.

• 4.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 05-17-2022 12:46
    We're still seeing this issue on a small handful of new systems and it is only occuring when an agent has an email interaction they are working on and a voice interactions is delivered to them while using the Genesys Desktop App.  For those having the issue, it is easily replicated.  Voice interaction comes in and within 30-45 seconds, the system freezes and the call is dropped.  Zero windows event logs created.

Steve Parsons
    BCD TRAVEL S.A.

• 5.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 30 days ago
    Are you guys still having issues with this?  We are experiencing similar issues, although I haven't been able to confirm that agents are in an email interaction and taking a voice interaction when it happens.

Josiah Bown
    Ohio's Hospice

• 6.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 30 days ago

Yes, we are still experiencing this issue.  To the point we can create it at will by having an agent with an email interaction take an inbound call or make an outbound call from the queue.  No help yet from Genesys.  After they looked at our logs they said, "You have a network issue as it's losing connection".  Well yea, that happens during a system freeze….I'd be very interested to know if you can create this at will also.  If you're using screen recording, you should be able to backtrack the issue.

Steve Parsons
    BCD TRAVEL S.A.

• 7.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 29 days ago
    I'm able to recreate the issue as well.  However, occasionally my steps to recreate are a bit different.  With an active email interaction, I can make a call out, disconnect the call but don't select a wrap-up code, then make a second call while the first wrap-up timer is still ticking, doing that it drops the call and freezes after about 10-15 seconds every time.  I was able to recreate it with one call several times but it didn't always fail with just one call.

We updated to the newest release today (Released 5/25) and still having the same issues.

Josiah Bown
    Ohio's Hospice

• 8.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 22 days ago
    Are you still experiencing the freezing issue?  Our issue seems to be way worse today than it has been.

Out of curiosity, what region are you guys in?  We are US West

Josiah Bown
    Ohio's Hospice

• 9.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 22 days ago
    Yes still a problem.  Moved impacted users to web vs app to stop it. Us East

• 10.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 22 days ago
    We did the same thing earlier this week but today users are having a lot of issues with the browser crashing.

Josiah Bown
    Ohio's Hospice

• 11.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 5 days ago
    Hi Steve - Not sure if you've heard anything from Genesys but, for us, the issue was with screen recording multiple interactions at a time.  I turned off screen recordings for email interactions and everything has been running normally for the last few days.  Here is what I received from Genesys:

So the most common cause for app crashing/freezing is local computer problems, as in the CPU or Memory is being used at or near 100% and the application crashes due to this. To be able to monitor the memory usage closely. Could you please ask an affected user to open task manager and monitor the CPU and Memory % usage when the issue happens. If either are maxing out, that is the likely culprit.

The other thing is there is one known issue with the application crashing due to multiple screen recordings happening at the same time which we've seen more cases come in recently. From the last sample there were two concurrent interaction, one call and one email. However, both interactions had two screens that were being recorded.

Right now what I would have them do is open task manager to monitor the CPU and Memory % usage and confirm if it spikes or maxes out when the app crashes/freezes.

Seems to me the correct next step would've been to suggest turning off screen recording on one interaction type instead of pointing back at our hardware.....

Josiah Bown
    Ohio's Hospice

• 12.  RE: GC Desktop App / System Freezing

Posted 5 days ago
    Hi Josiah,

This is promising news and does make sense.  All of our impacted users are on newer equipment.  With our vendor last week, we moved one of the agents back to the Desktop App in order to gather logs for Genesys, but after an hour, could not replicate the freeze....and for the rest of the week, she reported no freezing events.  No changes made to the systems, so we're moving over a couple more today.  All brand new computers, latest gen CPU's and 16gb of memory.  Would hate to turn off recording for a media type though for sure.

Steve Parsons
    BCD TRAVEL S.A.