PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Server IP Change

Posted 05-16-2018 11:27
    Good Afternoon,

We are looking at changing the IP's on our Switchover pair, and unfortunately the only information I can really seem to find is from version CIC 2.4.

Would anyone happen to know what best practice on doing so would be?

------------------------------
    Bryan

• 2.  RE: Server IP Change

Posted 05-17-2018 09:34
    Bryan,

Changing the IP addresses for your switchover pair isn't an easy task. Depending on your environment there are a lot of other items that will need to be updated as well.
    For example, any gateways will need to be updated with the new IP addresses, DNS and DHCP for the switchover pair, SIP Proxy, SBC's if you're using SIP trunks, possibly Media Servers if their Notifier connection isn't being done using an FQDN. Then there are any additional switchover parameters you have in Administrator that may need to be updated.
    If you absolutely must change the switchover IP addresses I would highly recommend doing this in your dev environment first. Get a list of all the servers in your dev environment, check to see which ones require the IP addresses of the switchover pair, and make the changes. Check to see if you're going to experience any hard down time (e.g. how long will it take for phones to point to the switchover pair after DNS and DHCP are updated, how long for the gateway/SBC updates to take place, etc.), as well as how quickly you can update any other items that need it (e.g. SIP Proxy, Media Server if necessary, etc.). This way you can get an estimate for how long of a maintenance window you will require when you do it in production.

Phil

Phil Chapman
    Sr. Solution Engineer
    Altivon

• 3.  RE: Server IP Change

Posted 05-17-2018 10:08
    Hey Phil,

Unfortunately I knew this was going to be a pain.  The plan is to do the change to the Dev environment first, and then more forward from there.  I just wanted to verify that I wasn't missing anything super obvious in the process of making the changes outside of the what was already stated in your post.

Bryan

• 4.  RE: Server IP Change

Posted 05-17-2018 13:56
    Hi,

I can't suggest anything to make it completely painless, but my advice would be to set up DNS correctly for the existing environment (if it isn't already) and then try to get everything using DNS, not using hard-coded IPs.

When the time comes, you should only need to change DNS and, probably, reboot devices, which is a lot easier than manually re-configuring everything! Even DHCP Option 160 shouldn't change since it, too, can use DNS.

If you need to know more, just ask and..... good luck!

Oh, and +1 for doing in Dev first.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources