PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

Posted 11-29-2012 21:05
    We're having an issue with Android UM users not able to play their Voicemails using their corporate account email. What I have found is that Android does not natively support MONO. I've read alot of folks saying it will not support .wav files. Best I can tell this is wrong. It does, as long as they are Stereo (took some voicemails and ran them thru Audio Auditions and saved in STEREO). It will play both GSM610 and G711 in Stereo. Iphones and Blackberries work fine. Windows phones have the same issue as Droid. You do have to have a .wav player (like "WavPlayer") loaded on your smartphone. SO, does MIC support saving files as Stereo? My guess is that Android developers are thinking "music" not "voicemail". It also makes me wonder about supplied .wav files folks will give us for Attendants. Should I convert them before uploading or does the system convert them as they are uploaded...or does it have to do something with them on each playing of the file.... One work around, for those interested, is you can forward your email from the corporate account (Exchange Activesync) to a GMAIL account and they'll play using the wav player.

• 2.  RE: .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

Posted 11-29-2012 21:36
    ...I think I found the answer to part of my question: Converting Voice Recordings For CPU efficiency and best audio quality of prompts and music played over telephone handsets, we recommend you convert your audio source files. For example, convert .wav format to 8 bit mono 8kHz mu-law (or A-law outside of North America) format before you add the audio file to a prompt tool or Interaction Attendant application. Some audio formats can be converted automatically by the IC system and telephony boards, but the dynamic conversion process may cause some loss of audio quality and require more CPU overhead.

• 3.  RE: .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

GENESYS
    Posted 11-29-2012 21:45
    Check the compression setting for voicemails in MIC. By default, it was always set to TrueSpeech, and most phones won't support that codec (it requires a royalty fee to use it). It was the default in the past because it had the best compression and Windows Media Player supported it until Windows Vista. Blackberry still supports the codec. If the compression is still set to TrueSpeech, the new codec of choice is GSM 6.10 which is supported by all the cell phones and media players.

• 4.  RE: .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

Posted 11-29-2012 23:04
    Originally posted by GGanahl;27229
    Check the compression setting for voicemails in MIC. By default, it was always set to TrueSpeech, and most phones won't support that codec (it requires a royalty fee to use it). It was the default in the past because it had the best compression and Windows Media Player supported it until Windows Vista. Blackberry still supports the codec. If the compression is still set to TrueSpeech, the new codec of choice is GSM 6.10 which is supported by all the cell phones and media players.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, we had the DSP Truespeech issue on the old Communite. And at first I did think it might be a codec issue. On my new MIC 3.0 system I'm using GSM 6.10 (actually changed a few users to G.711). If you look at the properties of these .wav files you'll see it's in MONO not STEREO. My Droid will not natively play these using my EMAIL corporate sync. Iphones, Blackberries don't have an issue with this. My buddy's Windows phone also will not play G.711 or GSM610 mono wav files. Both our phones will play G.711 or GSM610 stereo wav files (again, from the EMAIL corporate sync). If you push them to GMAIL and have a WavPlayer installed it will play them. Strange I know..... Can you check the properties on your files and see if they are MONO or STEREO? I'd be curious to know if there is a way to change this in MIC. Of course, this doubles the size of the files.

• 5.  RE: .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

Posted 11-30-2012 00:46
    This issue has nothing to do with the encoding or whether the audio is in mono or stereo. Android doesn't natively support playing wav files. You need to have your android users install a media player that supports wav.

• 6.  RE: .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

Posted 12-03-2012 17:11
    Sorry. Don't think I explained that well. My Droid will not play ANY .wav files without a wav player app installed. True. What I'm saying is my corporate sync account (Exchange ActiveSync) will get a "unsupported file type" on my MIC UM emails even WITH a wav player installed (I'm using WavPlayer). If I take that same file, make it a STEREO wav file and send it to my corporate sync account is WILL play the attachment using WavPlayer. I can take that original wav file and send it to my GMAIL account, and it will play that file using WavPlayer. It seems the issue is with the corporate sync piece of my (2.3.6) Android. If you have an Android and you are using Corporate Sync and have a .wav player installed; you are saying yours will play the MIC UM message? I'd like to know which version Android and what .wav player you are using. To date, none of my corporate sync UM Android users are able to play the files coming from MIC. http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html (shows it supporting PCM 8/16bit with sample rates of 8000,16000,44100)

• 7.  RE: .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

Posted 12-03-2012 19:08
    Corey...your 100% correct. It isn't the number of channels nor the codec type. It's the file type itself. Actually, I see what my converter was doing. When I saved the file after changing it from Mono to Stereo my audio program picked MICROSOFT PCM .wav format as default. This type will call the wavplayer. I changed one of the MONO files to Windows PCM audio format type and it will call the .wav player. The files coming out of the MIC system are CCITT u-law Audio Format when I check their properties. I thought CCITT u-law was G.711 a type of PCM. Now I'm just confused. This format is not recognized by the Corporate Sync (Unsupported File Type). How is CCITT u-law different than PCM? ...not really expecting an answer on that... Are there any ways to control what type of .wav files are created/stored in the MIC? (Windows PCM, Microsoft ADPCM, etc...) regardless of codec or channels. Thanks again for any reply.

• 8.  RE: .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

Posted 12-04-2012 03:59
    You can change the codec for which voice mails are recorded in Interaction Administrator under the mail configuration prefixes and voice mail tab.

• 9.  RE: .WAV Files MONO vs STEREO

Posted 12-10-2012 20:45
    Howdy! I struggled with this over and over and in lieu of modifying the compression, take a look at an app called "Remote Wave" there's a free (you have to look at ads) and a pay version. This fixed everything for me.

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources