A place to ask questions, connect with others, and stay in the know
Genesys Cloud's On-Premises WhatsApp hosting will be decommissioned on December 31, 2023. All of Genesys Cloud's WhatsApp usage will leverage the WhatsApp Cloud API, hosted by Meta.
What is changing & Who is impacted?
On November 3, 2023, we launched the WhatsApp Cloud API globally across all Genesys Cloud regions. Any new WhatsApp integrations created in Genesys Cloud on or after November 3, 2023, now use the WhatsApp Cloud API Platform.
For a large majority of customers who have had WhatsApp On-Premises integrations already configured and in use prior to November 3, we will be seamlessly migrating your integrations to the Cloud API before December 31, 2023. Migrations will be performed by Genesys on a region-by-region basis, as per the schedule provided in this announcement.
There will be no changes for the majority of WhatsApp customers, except for customers who use WhatsApp integrations to message end-users in Turkey. WhatsApp has placed certain country restrictions for the Cloud API. Specifically, businesses in Turkey can use the platform, but app users in Turkey cannot receive messages sent via the API. Due to this restriction, once your WhatsApp Turkish number is migrated to the Cloud, it will no longer be possible to message end-customers who have Turkish phone numbers. Any messages sent to Turkish phone numbers will error out. You will still be able to message end-customers that have a non- Turkish number, which means, if your WhatsApp subscriber base includes non-Turkish users, they will continue to receive messages from you.
Why is Genesys making this change?
Since its launch in 2022, Cloud API is now the recommended Business Platform for WhatsApp and will enable Genesys to drive the growth and expansion of this channel globally for all customers and partners. Some of the key benefits of Cloud API are:
• Higher Performance: Supports low-latency, high-throughput messaging.
• Better Scalability & Reliability: Grow your business messaging quickly on a more secure and reliable platform.
• Easier Access to New Features: Preferred platform for new, interactive features that enable commerce, automation, and improved data management.
• More Affordable & Accessible: No hosting fees as Meta pays for all costs.
What do I need to do?
1. For majority of the customers, no action is required for the migration. Genesys will automatically migrate any of your existing WhatsApp Platform integrations that are in "Active" status, on the scheduled migration date and time. Please note that any WhatsApp integrations in "Pending", "Incomplete" or other non-Active states will not be migrated, regardless of when they were created in Genesys Cloud. If you wish to activate those integrations, you must delete them first, and then manually re-create them using the standard Embedded Signup Flow onboarding process in your Genesys Cloud Org.
2. Given WhatsApp's country restriction for Turkey, if you have a group of Turkish end-customers contacting your business over WhatsApp, we suggest that you plan on transitioning the conversations to another channel, for e.g. by leveraging other third-party messaging channels that we natively support.
#Integrations#Roadmap/NewFeatures------------------------------Antwuan RencherGenesys - Employees------------------------------
A previous note mentioned 5 minutes of downtime for sending/receiving is that still the case?
Yes, Downtime is expected to be very minimal (less than 5 minutes), and no re-verification of yourbusiness phone number is required during this process.
During that period would messages in and out be queued or lost? We have some customers with operational messaging that occurs 24/7.
It is possible a few messages going in/out right around the time that the WhatsApp integration is flipping over to the Cloud API would be lost. This is unavoidable unfortunately; it's just the way the WhatsApp platform migration works, however, in reality this window should be very small (a few seconds per WhatsApp integration).
Antwuan, was the change applied successfully?
Hi Miguel - Yes, the migration has been completed for majority of the WhatsApp numbers. We are in the process of analyzing some of the numbers that couldn't be migrated and will be reaching out separately with the respective partners/customers.
Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources
Genesys empowers more than 7,500 organizations in over 100 countries to improve loyalty and business outcomes by creating the best experiences for customers and employees. Through Genesys Cloud, the #1 AI-powered experience orchestration platform, Genesys delivers the future of CX to organizations of all sizes so they can provide empathetic, personalized experience at scale. As the trusted, all-in-one platform born in the cloud, Genesys Cloud accelerates growth for organizations by enabling them to differentiate with the right customer experience at the right time, while driving stronger workforce engagement, efficiency and operational improvements.