Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Darrell Beard

Darrell Beard07-13-2017 23:15

• 1.  PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 02-15-2017 06:35

Hi,

I have downloaded and installed PureCloud Softphone on my desktop. Now I'm trying to provision it by running Provisioning Winzard. At first step its asks for slecting the method of provisioning file. I have tried both Automatic Discovery and Manual Settings (by passing this URL: https://phonediscovery.mypurecloud.com) but in both cases it says "No provisioning server could be found".

I have followed this resource center URL (https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/about-purecloud-softphone/) to setup everything about the soft phone but it does not discover any provisioning server.

Any thoughts? 

Is it too hard to make the PureCloud softphone work?

• 2.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 15:58

The PureCloud Softphone is not supported by phonediscovery.mypurecloud.com, and I doubt it will be supported in the future with the push toward PureCloud web-based phone instead.

Fo rmanual provisioning, you will need to point the softphone to your edge directly, with either http: or https: depending on how you have your Phone Trunks set up.

For example, http://172.17.10.69:8088 or https://172.17.10.69:8089

You can also set Option 160 in DHCP, and the softphone will use that, or if you use Host A records in DNS you can provision to that host name, e.g. http://edgeserver.mydomain.com:8088 or https://edgeserver.mydomain.com:8089

Remember that the computer has to either be on the same network or VPNed into the same network as the edge. If VPN, you will need to set the softphone Options to use the VPN adapter for the network connection.

• 3.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 03-31-2020 11:28
    Dear George,

Could you please advise me About the Best VPN Solution that should be used in this Case between Agents PCs and Edge Servers and what about it specs assumed that we have 10 Agents 

Thanks 
    Mahmoud

------------------------------
    Mahmoud Kamal
    IST Integration Services And Technologies Co.

• 4.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 03-31-2020 11:39
    I don't know what the best small solutions are these days for VPN appliances/servers. We always used Cisco devices to set up a small VPN (50 connections or less). There are other VPN appliances out there now which can be configured...Google "VoIP VPN appliances for small business" or something like that and you will find a lot of reviews.

The main thing is to ensure the remote users have enough upload and download bandwidth to support RTP over the VPN connection (se the other thread about WAH bandwidth for some feedback on bandwidth needed).

I don't know if anyone uses a software-only (virtual appliance) solution like OpenVPN.

George Ganahl GCP (Genesys Cloud), ICCE
    Principal Technology Consultant
    Genesys

• 5.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 03-31-2020 11:49
    Dear George,

Thanks for your Quick Reply it is a highly appreciated :) 

My question here is not about the VPN Servers, it is about the Technolgy, Like ( Site to site, or client VPN, or IPSec ) and also about the Public IPs that should be used in this connection between endpoints , should be assign a public IP per every user or we can use only one IP address 

Thanks 
    Mahmoud

Mahmoud Kamal
    IST Integration Services And Technologies Co.

• 6.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 03-31-2020 13:43
    It is standard VPN configuration (Client VPN) like you would use for anyone to access your corporate LAN over the Internet.

Genesys

• 7.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 04-01-2020 00:40
    Hi Mahmoud,

Based on your description what you need is a Client-to-Site VPN. So, every agent will have a VPN Client installed on their PCs/laptops to register the Softphones with the Edges in your company.

You don't have to care about the Public IPs because every agent will receive a private IP from your company when connected to the VPN. This VPN network range must be allowed to communicate with your Edges.

An alternative solution for this would be to use WebRTC phones, so agents can make/receive calls without a VPN.

Also, you can use any VPN protocol you want (L2TP, IPSEC...).

Paulo Mesquita
    Spark NZ Trading

• 8.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 07-21-2023 06:16

Hi, 

and if we use a BYOC - cloud organization without access to the edge and configuration how should we proceed please? 

Many thanks

lamiss chebbi
    Ovalo Eurl

• 9.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 07-21-2023 09:23

As noted on the linked chart showing phone compatibility, the Softphone is not supported for BYOC - Cloud. You will have to use the WebRTC phone.

George Ganahl GCP (Genesys Cloud), CCXP
    Principal PS Consultant
    Genesys

• 10.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 07-21-2023 10:40

Many thanks 

lamiss chebbi
    Ovalo Eurl

• 11.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 02-15-2017 21:48

Also, please keep in mind that if you are using PureCloud Voice, then you need to use the PureCloud web-based phone v. the PureCloud Softphone model.  Refer to compatibility matrix here...hope this helps!  https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/managed-phones-models-and-features-matrix/.  

• 12.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 07-13-2017 22:19

Hi I have got to the next level and by using the edge server IP address it seems to connect to the server, then I get a message saying the softphone has not been configured on the server, but I have setup the softphone, any ideas?

• 13.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 07-13-2017 22:28

Did you set up the softphone Phone in Admin using the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the computer running the softphone? For example, georgegpc.inin.com (instead of just georgegpc).

• 14.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 05-03-2020 01:13
    I have encountered the same issue "This softphone has not been configured on the server. ..." by following the above procedures. My hardware ID is "LAPTOP-CM8MU93D" (I used this name in PureCloud phone setup too). I am not in a domain but the PC running softphone can connect to the Edge. Any idea how I can resolve this?

Ricky Wong
    Individual Only Contact Account

• 15.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 05-04-2020 18:39
    I realize that you are not on a domain, but  "LAPTOP-CM8MU93D" is not necessarily the name your computer is sending to Genesys Cloud when trying to register.

In Windows File Explorer, right-click This PC and select Properties. Use the value you see for Full computer name.

Genesys

• 16.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 05-04-2020 22:38
    Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I explain my setup in more detail:

- I am using PureCloud with no BYOC nor PureVoice
    - I have setup a Virtual Edge behind an Internet facing router
    - I was using Twilio's elastic SIP trunk as my carrier
    - My Windows PC is also behind the same Internet router, and it is on the same 'flag' network as the Virtual Edge, so they can ping each other
    - I am not in an Enterprise network environment so there is no public domain setup (actually I have a registered domain and externally hosted DNS, in case if I need)

My Edge should work probably - everything is green (I still need to config incoming call, probably to expose the Virtual Edge over the Internet, this part has not been done yet). I originally wanted to try WebRTC for outbound calls, but I found that Twilio does not support opus codec (they only support g.711) so I tried Softphone, and then I got the error above.

The Full Computer name is still "LAPTOP-CM8MU93D" in my case.

So does that mean I need to open up my Windows PC to the Internet and assign some public accessible host name to my PC and Virtual Edge in order to use Softphone with PureCloud? I was thinking the Softphone only needs to communicate with the Edge.

Wong Ricky

• 17.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 05-05-2020 10:03
    I am wondering...what do you get when you open a CMD window and enter ping localhost

Often the IPv4 settings on your network interface are set to automatically append a domain even if the computer is not part of one.

Genesys

• 18.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 05-05-2020 10:32
    I got exactly the same host name, i.e. LAPTOP-CM8MU93D.

Wong Ricky

• 19.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

GENESYS
    Posted 05-05-2020 10:51
    Ok. Sounds like it is set up correctly.

You can try running Wireshark on the computer and capture the messages the phone is sending to the edge to see if anything looks odd.

Or, open a case with Care to have them look at the softphone trace logs. (Those logs are in a format readable by the PureConnect logviewer application, if you happen to have access to a PureConnect installation).

Genesys

• 20.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 07-13-2017 23:15

yes I did use the FQDN

• 21.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 07-14-2017 01:48

There does seem to be an issue as can't ping the Edge, even though it says it's up and running, the ping test is set to yes on the Edge

• 22.  RE: PureCloud Softphone Provisioning Server URL

Posted 03-31-2020 13:16
    There is a setting on the interface of the Edge to allow for reply to ping.   Instructions can be found here:  https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/configure-edge-respond-ip-network-pings/

As for SIP Options, that is on by default and will only respond to addressed in the trunk settings.

Robert Wakefield-Carl
    Avtex Solutions, LLC
    Contact Center Innovation Architect
    robertwc@avtex.com
    https://www.Avtex.com
    https://RobertWC.Blogspot.com

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources