Genesys Cloud - Main

View Only

Discussion Thread View
Expand all | Collapse all

Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

• 1.  Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-13-2021 05:35

Hi everyone in this community,

Allow me to gather information and opinions about WebRTC phones and the network environment where they are used for troubleshooting in my customer org.
    Agents in my customer are using WebRTC phones at their home remotely.
    and the customer told me that some agents could not see answer button and answer the call when an incoming ACD call comes.(But the system alerted the agents.)

When I request further explanations about the situation to the customer,
    it said that the agents who got this issue are using WebRTC phones with a mobile Wi-Fi router environment.
    In my opinion, the best option when using WebRTC phones is to use a Ethernet cable for the purpose of the stable internet connection.
    So, I guess the cause of this issue could be the poor internet connection in agents home.

I would like to ask following questions,
    - What is the most ideal environment when using WebRTC phones remotely?
    - Are there someone who uses WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi environment? any problems are found?
    - Could you share in here the beset way to troubleshoot when using WebRTC phones?

I think the usage of WebRTC phones are increasing due to the pandemic.
    I hope this helps everyone who have troubles in WebRTC phones.

Thank you,
    #RemoteWorkEnablement
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Tetsuro Fujisawa
    TSUZUKI DENKI CO LTD

• 2.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-14-2021 19:29
    Edited by Anne Wliams 07-14-2021 19:39
    Hello Tetsuro

I'm sorry I can't provide much additional information yet but I am following your post with interest as we too have implemented WebRTC phones to assist us in relocating our staff to home, some on their personal devices, and all would then go onto personal wi-fi.  

At the moment our staff are mostly using their WebRTC phones in an office environment, using hot-desked laptops (we run a 24x7 call centre) which are connected to docking stations via cable.  We have found this to be generally a very stable set up - occasional issues experienced by our Supervisors who like to work with multiple windows open at once (and as Genesys states - this is not supported). 

We have had 3 agents work shifts from home using WebRTC phones.  Two working on laptops we provided and one working on her personal laptop.  All 3 connected to their home wi-fi and I didn't have reports of any instability issues from them, but it was quite a limited experiment (main issues were people getting their internet browser settings correct on their own devices so that they didn't block pop-ups, notifications etc from Genesys or our CRM system).

I may have more to offer in a month or so as we are working towards testing our newly implemented infrastructure under a power outage scenario in our contact center.  We haven't yet finalised what equipment will go behind our UPS - if we exclude the docking stations from this but include the wi-fi then we can test out the stability of WebRTC on the laptops over wi-fi compared to our usual cabled network.  Will let you know.

Anne Williams
    Lifeline

• 3.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-15-2021 03:15
    Hello Williams,

Thank you for posting a comment in this discussion.
    In my customer case, the agents who experienced the issue have been working at their office where stable network connectivity is provided for weeks.
    And they told that the issue did not happen even once during the weeks.

I would be happy if you update with further testing in the environment.
    Thank you,

Tetsuro Fujisawa
    TSUZUKI DENKI CO LTD

• 4.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

GENESYS
    Posted 07-16-2021 04:49

Hi Tetsuro,

It sounds like the issue could be related to the double wireless connection, this could result in things like high latency:

AWS -- Internet -- Mobile Carrier -- Mobile Data -- Mobile WiFi (MiFi) Router -- WiFi -- Agent Laptop

Have you tried running the "WebRTC Diagnostics app"? That could give some insights:
    https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/run-the-genesys-cloud-webrtc-diagnostics-app/

Peter Grothauzen
    Genesys - Employees

• 5.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-16-2021 07:44
    Hi Peter,

Thank you for sharing idea about the network path.
    I will let the customer use the diagnostics tools.

Allow me to ask further questions about the tool.
    The following image is the result of the tool obtained in my network environment in which I use a ethernet cable.

The bottom part like Bit Rate, Round Trip and Packet Loss could be most informative.
    If you have information about the good numbers for these items when using WebRTC phones comfortably, could you share that?

Thank you,

Tetsuro Fujisawa
    TSUZUKI DENKI CO LTD

• 6.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

GENESYS
    Posted 07-16-2021 10:45

Hi Tetsuro,

Your figures look excellent.

Opinions will differ about what is acceptable. As a rule of thumb you could say:
    - Packet loss should be close to zero. A couple % is still okay.
    - Roundtrip below 150ms. Except on long international links you should be able to stay much lower.
    - Bandwidth. A bit tricky to put a number on it because the laptop will also need to send/receive other things than just voice packets, like for the User Interface and other applications on the laptop. 1Mbps might work. >5-10Mbps would be a lot better.

If they all start going up at the same time voice will suffer before you reach these values.

Peter Grothauzen
    Genesys - Employees

• 7.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-16-2021 11:14
      |   view attached

I tend not to use the tool and instead rely on Wireshark logs.

Also, in my last role, I banned all WiFi for WFH users.  We checked and if they were using WiFi, they were removed from Genesys until they were set up with a wired connection (a 15 meter cable cost is < $10 in the USA.) 

We see this behavior in networks on site or remote when either upload speeds are <2Mbps or jitter is occurring at >20ms.  If an agent can answer a call, the call quality is OK or not bad yet not great, but it is enough to cause the "elusive answer button" as we called the behavior. 

For the tool report, here are the metrics where you need to be concerned given our experience. They are tighter than what Genesys lists as minimum requirements elsewhere.  I will try to find those and will post that page back here:

Bit rate Average:  Anything <5 Mbps

Round Trip Max: Anything >250ms 

Packet loss: Anything >2%  (I am tougher, if everything else is good, I start looking further if it is >1%)

I attached instructions on how to install Wireshark to work in the background without requiring the agent to do anything.

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-16-2021 11:25

Unfortunately it appears that Genesys has removed the remote worker networking requirements page. What's left is a generic system requirements but not one mention of network requirements. OUCH! Definitely not helpful.

One other very important point that I forgot to mention.  We had a WAN segment that had this happening more than anyone else. After looking at Wireshark logs I discovered that QoS was not being passed with the packets - a segment from our main two data centers didn't have QoS turned on.  So check to see if you have QoS turned on.

• 9.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-18-2021 21:29
    Hi Peter,
    Thank you for sharing info about the ideal numbers about the network statistics.
    I will coordinate with the customer to use the tool and get the statistics and share the result here.

Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for sharing your experience about remote users and their network environments. 
    I did not configured QoS settings on the GenesysCloud web UI.
    If this issue(elusive answer button) persists to happen, I will check QoS settings with the customer.

Tetsuro Fujisawa
    TSUZUKI DENKI CO LTD

• 10.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

GENESYS
    Posted 07-19-2021 04:41
    Hi Kevin,

The network requirements can be found here: https://help.mypurecloud.com/articles/customer-network-readiness/

VoIP network requirements like latency, jitter, packet loss and bandwidth are actually not specific to Genesys they apply to every VoIP architecture.

Kind regards,
    Peter

Peter Grothauzen
    Genesys - Employees

• 11.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-19-2021 11:38
    Edited by Kevin Brown 07-19-2021 11:41

Peter,
    I am aware of that page, but Genesys provided a nice 1/2 page of easy metrics for work from home that seems to be missing.  I have a request out to my last team to see if they still have the link to the Genesys page that we sent managers.  It included up and download speeds, and a couple other common metrics that show up on the major speed test sites such as ping time.

The other metrics I mentioned are important, and as you say, regardless of discussing Genesys or not.
    The page you listed has the QoS settings which I believe is one component of the issue being discussed here.

Also, note that the metrics posted by Fujisawa-san are from his system and not the end users.

• 12.  RE: Using WebRTC phones under Wi-Fi Environment and how to troubleshoot.

Posted 07-17-2021 02:35
    Hello Fujisawa-san
    We have many users working from home and a high % are on home WiFi. Naturally the WiFi strength will make a difference and mobile WiFi even more sensitive to this.

Your WebRTC diagnostic example shows a clear connection and good network quality, if your users look something like that with no failures then looking good. It is common for networks to fail the 'symmetric NAT' test but this has not been a material issue. Chrome is the recommended browser of choice.

Apart from the WebRTC diagnostic check users can be having issues due to other common reasons such as WebRTC phone not selected, headset connection, MIC not available to the browser or browser cache issue. I have made a link to a further check list in case can help please WebRTC Troubleshoot

On occasions we have recreated the user WebRTC phone and make sure they have selected. If all else fails it may be an option for your users to set them up with remote phones (mobiles)?

Thanks and regards
    Blair Wilkinson
    CVT Global Enablement

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources