PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Feedback on CIC Update Best Practices

Posted 06-14-2021 17:46
    We are in the process of updating CIC from 2020 R1 Patch 6 to 2021 R1 Patch 3.

My team is a mixture of all different backgrounds and experience and the discussion came up as to what the best practices are for updating the client side applications (IC User Apps, ICBM, IC Server Manager Apps). 

Would you update the CIC server side and and the client applications all at the same time, or update the CIC server side, and let it burn in for a few days and then push out the client side updates?

We don't use IUP so we are using a software deployment manager. Since the client applications are backwards compatible, some of my team feels it would be best to wait until after the CIC servers have been updated, and the other half of my team feels they should all be updated at the same time. 

My opinion is that either will not cause any issues, but I wanted to see what others are doing.

#installations #update #cic #InteractionDesktop #icbm ​​​​​​​​​​
    #Implementation

------------------------------
    Michael Bishop
    UnitedHealth Group/Optum

• 2.  RE: Feedback on CIC Update Best Practices

Posted 06-15-2021 01:12
    Hey Michael!

OK, so for what it's worth, my view is that it depends on the risk of needing to revert the change. (Which, if you have tested everything in a dev environment, should be practically zero.)

If you have a lot of custom handlers and other similar stuff, then you may well want to burn in the new version on the server for a few days. As you say, the system is designed to allow older version so of the client applications to work with newer releases of the server, so that shouldn't cause issues. If you find that you have custom handlers etc that cause issues, rolling back your servers won't be as much of a headache as it would be if you had already upgraded all the clients (which would then also need to be rolled back.)

If you have a relatively vanilla deployment, then the "Hail Mary" approach would get all the work done in a single hit.

But that's just my opinion!

• 3.  RE: Feedback on CIC Update Best Practices

Posted 06-15-2021 08:55

Generally speaking both are fine aside from IC Business Manager.  Generally speaking the Optimizer and Recorder workspaces do not function as intended in IC Business manager if the server and the application are not on the same base and revision because of their sensitivity to database changes.

Since interaction desktop isn't really receiving updates any more, I consider it a very low priority for updating.

AARON LAEL
    State of Utah

• 4.  RE: Feedback on CIC Update Best Practices

Posted 06-16-2021 15:20
    That's good to know @Aaron Lael I wasn't aware of that issue, but will remember that for class, thanks!
    ​​​​

• 5.  RE: Feedback on CIC Update Best Practices

Posted 06-15-2021 09:43
    We typically update client side at a later date to ensure no roll back situations are going to occur. The backwards compatibility of the client side allows this with 'minimal' effects. I've never run into any major issues running outdated clients and as long as no huge jump in versions, I think you're good.

Dennis White
    Salelytics LLC

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources