PureConnect

View Only

Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-19-2019 15:23
    Edited by Tyler Style 07-19-2019 15:26
    A coworker and I disagree on how calls are actually routed when using #dialer for an outbound campaign.  I maintain that the calls are routed by IP as per Dialer configuration, and they that calls are routed by Dialer itself. Anyone care to weigh in on that?
    #ArchitectureandDesign
    #Routing(ACD/IVR)
    #Telephony

------------------------------
    Tyler Style
    Interactive Intelligence Engineer, WellCare Health Plans
    ​​

• 2.  RE: Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-22-2019 08:01
    It was my understanding calls are routed by CIC as that is where you build the trunk in the Line config to the PSTN for dialer calls and the function of dialer is the campaign management.

Luke Rolfes
    Western and Southern Life Ins Co

• 3.  RE: Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-23-2019 09:02
    Thanks Luke.  CIC is the whole system tho, I think, and I was talking about two subsystems - Dialer and IP.  Am I wrong in how I'm understanding the architecture?

Tyler Style

• 4.  RE: Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-22-2019 10:25
    It depends what you mean by "routed"....

The call is actually initiated by the Dialer Subsystem and, if it connects, it is sent to an Agent by ACD...

HTH

• 5.  RE: Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-22-2019 13:52
    To piggy back on Paul's statements. Assuming predictive or power dialing the dialer subsystem creates the call, but I'm pretty sure IP is still involved in the call going out unless you use bulk caller API. If the person being called picks up then the dialer subsystem sends the call to ACD processing, via IP and the ACD subsystem to be assigned to an agent. I think Preview dialing still uses dialer but the actual dialing is done via IP and Dialer keeps an eye on the call.

Note that all of this is based on my understanding of the product from going through training and reviewing logs. I left out the other subsystems like TS Server and Notifier to try to simplify things. Maybe if you can provide some more details as to what you are actually looking to confirm you can assist us in getting you an answer.

Thanks,

Mark Tatera
    ConvergeOne

Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. Any suggestions or programming changes I suggest come with no warranty and should be tried at your own risk.

• 6.  RE: Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-23-2019 09:12
    Thanks for the clarification Mark.  That sounds more like my own understanding of the process from my own training and reading, so if you've gotten it wrong then we've both gotten the wrong impression and we should probably ask for our money back for our training classess... LOL

Tyler Style

• 7.  RE: Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-23-2019 09:05
    Thanks Paul - so does that mean that Dialer is actually handling the calling process, rather than IP, and on connect it then hands it off to ACD?

Tyler Style

• 8.  RE: Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-23-2019 10:28
    To be honest, I have never traced the process through the differnet subsystems. It's entirely possible that Dialer raises the "Initiate Call Request" event, or it may bypass the Handlers all together. If it matters, you can always place the various Handlers into Debug Mode, turn up logging levels etc. However, I have to echo Mark's question "Maybe if you can provide some more details as to what you are actually looking to confirm you can assist us in getting you an answer."

Ultimately, Telephony Services actually places the call.......

As for the training. You may remember the diagram at the beginning (looks like a card index) that explains that when Dialer is installed, it becomes an integral part of IC and can make use of any and all subsystems.

• 9.  RE: Question regarding which CIC compoments do actual call management

Posted 07-23-2019 11:03
    Thanks Paul.  I'm not able to justify taking time out to do an analysis, hence my crowdsourcing it here instead to see if anyone happened to know already.  I know Dialer makes use of IP and handlers in other places, as do other components, so it seemed reasonable to me that it would hand that off to IP rather than call management re-implemented within it but legacy design decisions and such haunt the software industry for sure.

We're mostly discussing use cases so we can accurately describe what the various systems are doing during various processes we're documenting.

And unfortunately for me, I still haven't had Dialer training - it's been a bit tough to line up through our internal request process.

Tyler Style

Need Help finding something?

Check out the Genesys Knowledge Network - your all-in-one access point for Genesys resources